unlimited framerate

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
  • Hello again

I have a question about unlimited framerate. My specs are below. The thing is, when I run almost any project (even empty) in unlimited framerate, insides of my computer makes strange, very high frequency (about 15000Hz, I even measured it!) sound. I don't know what piece of hardware does it (my bet is on graphic card). When I switch to v-synced, it's ok. I tried to setting the framerate to fixed at the value shown as the FPS in the unlimited mode (about 10000) and it doesn't make that noise then (but renders at 600 FPS). creepy.

So the question is, what the hell is that sound and where does it come from? Also can it do some sort of damage to my precious?

specs:

gigabyte ma770-ud3

athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600+ 2.91GHz

2 GB ram

gigabyte geforce 9600gt 1gb silent pipe

• It is a processor... And I think it is the GPU, so yes the graphics card. But it isn't normal.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's probably the GPU fan.

When you have unbounded framerate you use up all the juice you can squeeze out of the PC, even if your monitor can't even display it.

If you do it too often I'd guess the chip and fan will live less. And your power source.

When you use Vsync, you only draw what your monitor can display, which is why I always recommend to keep it on. It will also play nicer with other running programs in the system.

Funny how this happens with some pro games out there *cough*deadspacemenu*cough*

• well, i don't think any fan can produce such a high frequency sound, besides my gpu doesn't have a fan

also smart fan control is turned off on my machine, so It can't be the cpu fan going faster and slower issue

• Well simply put it IS the GPU, one way or another..

I'd guess it's either a hardware fault, hardware design glitch, installation error, or just something you don't need to worry about.

• well on one hand I am worried about this, on the other I want to set the unlimited framerate mode and run the app for an hour / see what happens.

• This might sound silly but electrical components are funky like that.

Try the .cap, make sure you can hear the high frequency, then unplug (not turn down, UNPLUG) the speakers/amplifier and turn off your monitor.

If the sound persists..... worry, I guess.

Sometimes badly isolated cables can generate sound on speakers or even CRT monitors (dunno the others), and that's harmless. Annoying but harmless.

On my old CRT I could HEAR MY MOUSE CURSOR going over bright lines. It was freaky.

• This might sound silly but electrical components are funky like that.

Try the .cap, make sure you can hear the high frequency, then unplug (not turn down, UNPLUG) the speakers/amplifier and turn off your monitor.

If the sound persists..... worry, I guess.

Sometimes badly isolated cables can generate sound on speakers or even CRT monitors (dunno the others), and that's harmless. Annoying but harmless.

On my old CRT I could HEAR MY MOUSE CURSOR going over bright lines. It was freaky.

well, as I told in the first post, the sound comes from inside of my computer, not from the speakers / monitor. It is so quiet sound, that I think if I'd close the computer case (I have it open right now) I wouldn't even hear it, but that's not the solution

• Don't worry, your computer is just going to explode in.. 3.. 2.. 1..

http://jooyeol.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/explosion.jpg

Anyway the sound could be generated by the high frequency work the GPU is doing when in full work at unlimited framerate.

• Anyway the sound could be generated by the high frequency work the GPU is doing when in full work at unlimited framerate.

well actually this seems to be the problem, google said that gigabyte fanless gpus tend to do that and it is quite normal. thanks, my precious is saved

• Yeah its gotta be the gpu. Its pretty much normal, but if you suddenly start to smell burnt toast....

• I guess half a billion transistors working at maximum capacity aren't silent

• Some electronic components (specially capacitors and coils) begin to make noises under some conditions due long usage cycles (when their life cycle is near to it's end). How old is your graphics card?

In case it's not that old, it may just be defective components.

• Some electronic components (specially capacitors and coils) begin to make noises under some conditions due long usage cycles (when their life cycle is near to it's end). How old is your graphics card?

In case it's not that old, it may just be defective components.

about a month, just like the rest of the intestines. brand new thing

• I think noise is normal, not necessarily a defect thing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)