Unofficial Construct 2 Ezine

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:08 am

I like it! A nice example of what can be done with the WordPress platform.

[QUOTE=Andeming]... I have not asked Tom or Ashley about it yet, with the chance an ezine may be in their current business plan/model ... [/QUOTE]

@Andeming What's your own business plan/model for this? Subscription-based? Advertising-based? Angel investor-based ? ...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 am

Nice work, its pretty awesome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 am

Awesome! it would be more than this forum
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 pm

@Sqiddster; thank you for your reply, if you have any more feedback or suggestions I'd by happy to hear them.

On a side note, perhaps I should raise the point that while the online magazine will no-doubt help centralise certain elements of Construct 2 (News, Information, Tutorials, Plugins etc..), thus, making them more easily accessible. I am weary in not wanting to 'tread on the toes' of the main Scirra site by poaching and diverting web traffic by duplicating news updates or content.

@Velojet; thank you for your reply. I agree with your comments about WordPress. I've found it to be a very versatile platform. And what's more, very user friendly (compared with other CMS's). Which will be very handy, if things go well with the site, for the inclusion of other's contributions to the ezine.

As for my own business plan/model for this, I have considered a variety of solution to use (Bearing in mind, I hope to put in place a system so as to allow for the compensation of individuals wishing to contribute to the site; more than just expose and reference), such as:
-Advertisements
-Subscription
-Sponsorship
-Premium Content
-Monthly Ebook Magazine
-Merchandise
-Collaberations
-Donations

Please ask if you'll like me to explain these [and how they relate to the site] in a little bit more detail.

@Aenopix and @Joannesalfa; thank you very much for your compliments.

If anyone has any question, suggestions or general feedback I am all ears; just excuse the wax. Although I've heard cats like the taste of ear-wax.... strange...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm

As long as your information is supplementary (and from your plans, it appears it will be) I'm sure Scirra will be quite happy for you to have your ezine up and running.

I'd be careful regarding premium content. If I were you, I'd leave it at capx's, graphics, and other external goodies, without restricting good stories/news/reading to premium payers. Those are just my thoughts, of course you should do what you want ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 am

@sqiddster; No worries. I think we're on the same wavelength concerning the premium content.

With the vast majority of posts and articles being free to read and view. But also with free access to many of the videos, tutorials and content (Audio files, sprite packages, Capx files).

By premium 'content' I was referring more to the game assets, fuller .Capx files and possibly certain [more in depth & detailed] video tutorials etc... A small premium being required to access or use them.

Or alternatively a voluntary sponsorship of the item (I.e. An option to donate a small sum to the author/artist/creator).

'Promotion of Construct 2' will be written into the mission statement. So restricting content is not therefore in the best interests of the ezine. As you rightly suggest, it may be a dangerous move.

Further to this point, I'm hoping to emulate [at least by part] the spirit of motivation behind the Scirra Team in producing Construct 2. Taking a quote from the interview by www.prweb.com:

"Authors have total freedom to distribute their creations without restriction. "A drawback of other tools is you have to publish through the vendor's channels" says Director Thomas Gullen. "Our tool gives the authors total control.""

Likewise, I'm not planning on restricting the site with price tags, but wanted to have the option available for some content. Allowing for the compensation of time spent in their creation. I believe such things will contribute to the longevity of the site, as well as promote others into the creation of assets which should help with the promotion and interest of Construct 2.

What's your opinion on this?

Also, the option of collating articles and posts withing a certain time frame (E.g. each month) is being considered. So as to edit them into a pdf, formatted into an electronic copy of a magazine; either for download or print. This however may incur a cost for those interested.

The limitations on web traffic economies of scale will of course, dictate some what.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 am

@sqiddster

In a less formally written reply. I like your game "AirScape". Great and original idea, nice music. Plays very well. So, thumbs up.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 am

I agree with you about the premium content, you've certainly given it more thought than I have :)

Glad you enjoyed my game!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Pretty cool! Would like to see that
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 pm

That's a pretty good idea, I'd love to read something like that.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General