UNREAL ENGINE 4

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • Have you seen what they did?

https://www.unrealengine.com/

I believe they just destroyed Unity completely with their new subscription plan.

• What makes you think so? Let's look at it in detail:

Entry level for Unreal Engine 4 is $19 per month. No alternatives. Let's say development of your game takes at least 2 years. That's $456 just for using the engine. You publish your game and make $10,000. Your income is $9500 and Epic Games get another $500. That's $956 for the development of just one game.

Entry level for Unity 3D is $0. That's $0 after two years. You publish your game and make $10,000. You get $10,000 and haven't paid anything.

So where exactly are they destroying Unity (at least for Indies)?

• Unreal just shot themselves in the foot.

"so that we succeed only when you do" <-What a joke, $19/m over 2 years (average length of time needed to make a game) a pretty good $$$ for unreal and a christmas bonus of 5% of gross product revenue (Sales - Cost of sales)

The question is what is the 5% going to cost you.

See tulamide example above, but that is too little money for 2 years worth of work. So in order to justify 2 years work you need to make at least $100,000

That means...

Epic gets $5000 + $456

vs

$1800 from unity 3d (2 years at $75) and that is if you need the pro features.

• But if you really get 100K, it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

• I get the impression they're both actually very different tools used for different purposes, so the price/royalties are likely to be just one of many factors in customer's decisions over which to use.

• [quote:3s2s5fxt]You can cancel your subscription at any time and keep using the engine, though without monthly updates.

However, this is the very first release, aimed at early adopters. It's powerful, but not very polished, and it requires a beefy desktop computer.

think this sums it up quite well.

• I think like Ashley they are differnt tools used for different purposes.

I also think have more options gives you the oportunity to decide which platform / engine /whatever is better for your game.

Say no to monopoly.

By the way it looks very good

• Unity 3d Free is different story so you can't compare it to UE

See tulamide example above, but that is too little money for 2 years worth of work. So in order to justify 2 years work you need to make at least $100,000

That means...

Epic gets $5000 + $456

vs

$1800 from unity 3d (2 years at $75) and that is if you need the pro features.

For serious games you will need Unity Pro version (quite funny note from unity www "free version is not intended for the production of professional games and interactive content")

1800$ vs 456$ - for pc, mac

5400$ vs 456$ - for pc, mac, android, ios

And some more news:

"Crytek has revealed that from May this year, indie developers will be able to use all of CRYENGINE's cutting-edge features for a monthly subscription fee of 9.90 USD/EUR per user - royalty free."

• And some more news:

"Crytek has revealed that from May this year, indie developers will be able to use all of CRYENGINE's cutting-edge features for a monthly subscription fee of 9.90 USD/EUR per user - royalty free."

That is interesting.

Agree with everyone. Different tools, and when making a choice you have to weigh your options because changing halfway in a project is suicide

• Good Lord!

Thank you so much for sharing that! I checked it out and it looks totally sweeeeeeet! I watched a couple of the videos and I'm sooo excited! We're talking about the Unreal Engine at $19 a month...totally affordable!

Unity is $75 + more for whatever other platforms you want to develop in! +$75 for ios, +$75 for android(and you are LOCKED into at least a one year subscription with NO cancelling unless you want to pay $1500 for every single aspect of Unity!)...it can get really pricey!

I was truly thinking about doing Unity in the future, when I could afford it and when it made sense, but I can afford to start playing with the Unreal engine NOW! Who can't? Heck, you can cancel anytime! $19? Those guys are awesome!

Crytek seems like it will certainly be a cheaper choice at $9.90 a month and no royalties. I, however, like the BLUEPRINT in UE4 which allows you to script visually! Awesome! Here is a video they just put out on it:

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Heck, if I can have fun, develop smartly and intuitively and it only costs me $19 a month-Awesome! One thing to consider about developing visually with their BLUEPRINT system is that you don't have to worry about your syntax. Also, the HELP inside the BLUEPRINT, looks awesome as well!

If I were creating the next Flappy Bird, I'd definitely use Construct. When you can develop something simple in Construct so fast and not worry about paying royalties it only makes sense. The royalties for UE4 are well deserved and allow everyone the opportunity to be able to develop at a very affordable price...hobbyist prices.

I also wish to see more upgrades from Scirra and I wouldn't mind even paying to do some hosting through them if they truly made every development feature plug and play! I am so looking forward to all of the multiplayer updates!

As far as development for 3D goes, well, Unity just got hammered! Their prices are really only for the pros, not at all for the little guys or the hobbyists. You'll easily spend $5000 on Unity. Crytek is free to $9.90 in the future for the next engine, which is very affordable but their engine does not look as powerful as the UE4. Think about it, the Unreal Engine has had tons and tons and even more tons of input on it's final design making it a very powerful and incredibly streamlined environment to develop in. Keeping costs and production time to a minimal is good business.

All I just said means my monthly budget just went up by $19! For sure!

Thanks sooooo much for this post!

• Yeah I'm not even gonna touch UE. Regardless of how the price goes. I'd rather stick with Unity.

• i have been working with unity for a couple of years and i really like it. but looking at all the videos unreal posted to youtube this last couple of days made me really want to try it out. and the price! man, that's just awesome. before i start working on my next 3D game ill definitely play with unreal for a week or two.

in the end, all this new competition for the indie developer market, will only make all these engines better. so everyone wins, independent of engine choice.

• A great demo from Zak Parrish at GDC for anyone wondering what all the fuss is about. Very drool worthy!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • A great demo from Zak Parrish at GDC for anyone wondering what all the fuss is about. Very drool worthy!

Make sure you watch that in 720!

• Unity 3d Free is different story so you can't compare it to UE

>

> See tulamide example above, but that is too little money for 2 years worth of work. So in order to justify 2 years work you need to make at least $100,000

> That means...

> Epic gets $5000 + $456

> vs

> $1800 from unity 3d (2 years at $75) and that is if you need the pro features.

>

For serious games you will need Unity Pro version (quite funny note from unity www "free version is not intended for the production of professional games and interactive content")

1800$ vs 456$ - for pc, mac

5400$ vs 456$ - for pc, mac, android, ios

And some more news:

This pricing isn't really accurate, as you can also sign up for Unity's subscription service, which now has no set time limit on how long you have to sign up for. So, you could create your entire project in Unity, for free, and only sign up for the subscription to push it out to platforms outside of OSX/Windows/Linux. I've easily saved thousands of dollars using their subscription service instead of buying each major release outright, as was required previously.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)