Update on slow audio - Need your help!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:40 pm

Do you have an android device? Can you spare a few minutes? If so, you can help diagnose a problem that significantly slows down loading on android when using chrome or chromium based exporters (Phonegap, Crosswalk).

1. DL the latest chrome for android

2. DL the latest Firefox for android (yes, there's FF for android. It's actually quite good.)

3. Run the following test in both FF and Chrome. http://www.scirra.com/labs/bugs/webaudiodecode/

4. Test both OGG and AAC and note the time taken for each. You should end up with 4 different scores, 2 for each browser.

5. Go to this chrome bug report: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=424174

6. Star it.

7. Post your results, along with your device details. Particularly, your cpu information (model, how many cores).

7a. If you don't know about your cpu, use the following app to find out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... puid.cpu_z

That's it. BTW, while everything helps, scores for single core, hexa(6)-core, and octo(8)-core devices are particularly useful.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:31 am

currently running the test, however you know there is something really wrong when ashley is thinking about having a javascript decoder for the ogg vorbis sounds to compensate for the chrome slow decoding.

EDIT : posted, 51,79 s on chrome to decode against 12,69 s on firefox, definitively a stupid time to wait when the download time was between 10,03 s and 13,28 s.

since AAC made chrome for android crash once during the decode, I did not insist.

@TiAm I just saw that my phone is actually using 1 cpu I think, so testing on it may be useful perhaps?
EDIT:reported it on the chromium bug report
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:27 pm

I tested it with a Samsung Galaxy Core Plus.
CPU: Dual-core 1,2 GHz ARM Cortex-A9

Decode times:
Firefox (OGG): 10.4s
Firefox (M4A): Before I updated Firefox, it did it in 20.38s, after the update it just crashes.
Chrome (OGG): 35.14s
Chrome (M4A): 26.55s
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:45 pm

@Aphrodite

Yes, thanks for testing the phone too. That's an interesting result; it shows that chrome is decoding slower period, even when the number of cores is only one (so threading wouldn't matter). Unfortunately, it seems like chrome is particularly slow at decoding ogg.

@glerikud

Thanks for testing. Can you post those result on the bug report too? It helps to reiterate to the chrome devs that this speed discrepancy can be replicated on many different devices.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:01 am

TiAm wrote:Can you post those result on the bug report too?

Of course.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:28 pm

asm.js has been proven to reach close-to-native speeds, and puts control of audio decoding in our hands (e.g. we can run it over multiple threads with web workers, instead of hoping the browser does that). It would have other benefits like allowing platforms that don't support Ogg Vorbis but support Web Audio (Safari, soon IE) to use the Ogg Vorbis files for sound effects. So it's something I'm interested in looking in to even if this bug gets fixed. And if it doesn't, then we can work around it ourselves too.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Ashley wrote:asm.js has been proven to reach close-to-native speeds, and puts control of audio decoding in our hands (e.g. we can run it over multiple threads with web workers, instead of hoping the browser does that). It would have other benefits like allowing platforms that don't support Ogg Vorbis but support Web Audio (Safari, soon IE) to use the Ogg Vorbis files for sound effects. So it's something I'm interested in looking in to even if this bug gets fixed. And if it doesn't, then we can work around it ourselves too.

That sounds awesome, especially since it would let us use open formats on Safari and IE.

Since you are willing to consider this, have you looked at opus at all? I don't think it's that much slower than ogg, but it allows for some hefty reductions in bitrate, especially for vocal content (nearly transparent at 32kbps).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_%28audio_format%29
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:20 pm

@Ashley it just feels weird to me that implementing a decoder with javascript (even asm.js) can outperform a direct browser implementation, however, for the sake of only using one audio format, I agree (well, we still will need m4a for when the web audio api is not supported nor the chosen format).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:55 am

All existing C2 content already has Ogg Vorbis audio. Switching format to something like Opus would be tricky because everyone would have to re-encode/transcode their audio files.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Ashley wrote:All existing C2 content already has Ogg Vorbis audio. Switching format to something like Opus would be tricky because everyone would have to re-encode/transcode their audio files.

That's true. I hadn't considered that. Trans-coding low bitrate files = bad. :?

Vorbis is still a great codec too. If this idea works out, and we can use ogg everywhere, and get faster decoding on android...I'll be happy. :D
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General