[UPDATED: 05.09.2017] The Big NW.js Roundup - Tips & Tricks

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:00 pm

@tecbug I didn't hear anything from you yet, is it working fine on your end?
Some feedback about it would be nice! ;)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:38 pm

@TheRealDannyyy Yes! This helped me.

I only changed when Force redraw was triggered:
rather than showed in the example.

Now it looks good.

Thank you both TheRealDannyyy and BackendFreak!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:44 pm

tecbug wrote:@TheRealDannyyy Yes! This helped me.
Now it looks good.
Thank you both TheRealDannyyy and BackendFreak!

Cool, good to know that it works as expected.
If you are a Steam4C2 user (judging by the screenshot you are), you'll just have to do this temporally until Madspy is back on track and updates the plugin with that workaround.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:18 am

Great.

@Madspy please note that when you do as showed in the example:

overlay will flicker when it appears (shift+tab).

Because of this i made it this way:
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:24 pm

tecbug wrote:Great.
...overlay will flicker when it appears (shift+tab).

The flicker is because the redrawing interval is set to every 3rd frame (50ms) and on your screen it must be noticeable. Madspy will most-likely set it to every frame so it won't be noticeable anymore.
For the temporally workaround you could try to reduce the time to 2 seconds, we just used 5 seconds to make sure that even the "potatoest" of PCs will get a redraw call in.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:57 am

@TheRealDannyyy I've noticed that Ashley mentions in the greenwork plugin post that the game's exe must be named nw.exe for it to work, I also notice you didn't write anything about it, my game and steam overlay seems to work fine for me with a different exe name, but I'm not sure what was the original problem that required this action, can you shade some light on the subject?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:07 am

on Windows the engine's executable file must have the name nw.exe for addons to work

source nw.js-wiki

Needed for modules containing C/C++ addons because they use parts of the engine to sustain their execution. (greenworks/setam4c2/robotjs....)
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am

I see, but it also says at the top that some of these issues only apply to version 0.12 and lower, we're on version 0.19.4 already, so that might not be an issue anymore.
My point is that my game runs, steam overlay is accessible, achievements are being registered and pop is shown, so unless I'm missing something, I don't see any problem.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:42 pm

MadSpy wrote:
on Windows the engine's executable file must have the name nw.exe for addons to work

source nw.js-wiki
Needed for modules containing C/C++ addons because they use parts of the engine to sustain their execution. (greenworks/setam4c2/robotjs....)
Lof wrote:I've noticed that Ashley mentions in the greenwork plugin post that the game's exe must be named nw.exe for it to work, I also notice you didn't write anything about it, my game and steam overlay seems to work fine for me with a different exe name, but I'm not sure what was the original problem that required this action, can you shade some light on the subject?
---
I see, but it also says at the top that some of these issues only apply to version 0.12 and lower, we're on version 0.19.4 already, so that might not be an issue anymore. My point is that my game runs, steam overlay is accessible, achievements are being registered and pop is shown, so unless I'm missing something, I don't see any problem.

I think that Lof is onto something here, could it really be that more recent versions don't have this requirement anymore?
So far I've always been assuming the same because of the given information from the (outdated?) documentation about the use of addons.

Either @MadSpy and/or @Ashley, I would like to request a statement about this.
Is it still required to use "nw.exe" as the application name or are you guys perhaps "outdated" about the latest requirements of NW.js + Addons?

References: New Docs | Old Docs | Native Modules
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 am

Last I wrote that it was true (quite a while ago now), but if you can rename the .exe and everything still works... I guess they fixed it!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General