[UPDATED: 02.05.2017] The Big NW.js Roundup | Tips & Tricks

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:30 pm

Great, I just wasn't sure what "IT" was, so I guess we're all good!
Image
B
71
S
28
G
12
Posts: 515
Reputation: 12,284

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Ashley wrote:Last I wrote that it was true (quite a while ago now), but if you can rename the .exe and everything still works... I guess they fixed it!

Sounds good, the more personalized our games get the better.
I guess before spreading false information all around here, I'll head over to their git and ask them about this.

Thanks again for the quick response!
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
B
56
S
21
G
77
Posts: 637
Reputation: 43,963

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:08 pm

@TheRealDannyyy Any idea what could be causing youtube videos not to play via NW.JS anymore?

nw-js-v0-19-4-youtube-error_t186766
B
60
S
20
G
56
Posts: 1,077
Reputation: 35,941

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Burvey wrote:@TheRealDannyyy Any idea what could be causing youtube videos not to play via NW.JS anymore?
nw-js-v0-19-4-youtube-error_t186766

Thanks for the heads up, waiting for a response now.
This will either be included in future NW.js installer releases or I will add a simple tutorial to the roundup.

EDIT: @Burvey and all the others with codec problems, please take a look at THIS topic.
Sorry but I don't think that I will add this to the roundup, I might reconsider it if a lot of people demand it.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
B
56
S
21
G
77
Posts: 637
Reputation: 43,963

Post » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I got small but anoying stuttering about every second when exporting a project with NodeWebkit. I tested an HTML5 export and it works a lot smoother. I tested some things displayed on the first page related to vsync and single process but didn't help. My project has about 30% CPU usage all the time and I can't explain the stuttering.

Any help on that would be welcome.
B
14
S
4
Posts: 109
Reputation: 1,281

Post » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:52 pm

Nabu0001 wrote:Hello everyone,
I got small but anoying stuttering about every second when exporting a project with NodeWebkit. I tested an HTML5 export and it works a lot smoother. I tested some things displayed on the first page related to vsync and single process but didn't help. My project has about 30% CPU usage all the time and I can't explain the stuttering.
Any help on that would be welcome.

Could you please provide more information like:
  • Your NW.js version
  • Hardware specs (CPU, GPU, OS)
  • Brief explanation on when it stutters
  • Maybe some details of your game as well
Single processing is kinda broken again so I recommend waiting for the NW.js team until they sort things out.
The disable V-Sync feature should only be used for debugging as mentioned in the roundup.
ImageImageImageImage
B
56
S
21
G
77
Posts: 637
Reputation: 43,963

Post » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm

@TheRealDannyyy, thanks for the reply,

I just released a game in alpha stage on itch.io and found jerkiness problems with the Node Webkit export.
https://nabu.itch.io/ultimate-barbarian

Heres my specs :
- NW.js 0.20.0, the last one
- I7 3630QM 2.40 GHz
- GeForce GTX 660m
- OS is Windows 7 SP1

The game has 20 to 200 sprites on screen with about 100 average, and some shaders. The stutters occurs about every second whatever happen on screen, in cpu intensive times or not. Average CPU usage is 30%, up to 50% some times, with less than 10% for the engine and the same for draw calls, the rest being logics. The preview under Chrome and HTML5 export works smooth on various browsers. Only NodeWebkit export is jerky.

I found the stutters are almost invisible running the application with my Intel integrated graphic card 4000, although a lot more visible and annoying with the GTX 660m.

I also tested the game exported with NW.js on a low end computer and it worked well and smooth.
B
14
S
4
Posts: 109
Reputation: 1,281

Post » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:33 pm

Nabu0001 wrote:@TheRealDannyyy, thanks for the reply,

I just released a game in alpha stage on itch.io and found jerkiness problems with the Node Webkit export.
https://nabu.itch.io/ultimate-barbarian

Heres my specs :
- NW.js 0.20.0, the last one
- I7 3630QM 2.40 GHz
- GeForce GTX 660m
- OS is Windows 7 SP1
...

I cannot reproduce it on my end, runs well on my laptop and desktop PC.
I think your GPU isn't blacklisted either so the problem might be related to your eventing but I doubt it.
1. Did this happen in previous NW.js releases before 0.20.0 as well?
2. Are you preloading all your audio files at start or do they load in while progressing?
3. Can you reproduce this bug while all Shadow lights are off? (invisible/destroyed, aka not rendered)
4. Do you make use of render cells on layers with a lot of static objects?
ImageImageImageImage
B
56
S
21
G
77
Posts: 637
Reputation: 43,963

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:25 am

@TheRealDannyyy, thanks for the tips

1 - Yes this happened with previous releases,
2 - The sounds are preloaded.
3 - Not rendering Shadow Lights didn't change anything.
4 - I used render cells and still got stuttering.

Strange this happen only with the dedicated GPU, and run smooth on the integrated one. Both 32bits and 64bits versions stutter. Maybe it's related to NW.js or Chromium. You can confirm you experienced no framerate drops ?
B
14
S
4
Posts: 109
Reputation: 1,281

Post » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 am

Nabu0001 wrote:@TheRealDannyyy, thanks for the tips

1 - Yes this happened with previous releases,
2 - The sounds are preloaded.
3 - Not rendering Shadow Lights didn't change anything.
4 - I used render cells and still got stuttering.

Strange this happen only with the dedicated GPU, and run smooth on the integrated one. Both 32bits and 64bits versions stutter. Maybe it's related to NW.js or Chromium. You can confirm you experienced no framerate drops ?

It just slightly stuttered 1-2 sec. after it loaded into the layout but I assume that's the expected behavior. I didn't experience stuttering after that so I guess it might be GPU related. I don't know how to further help you out with this, you should consider reporting this as a bug (following the guidelines + all details included) and let the experts get their hands on it.
ImageImageImageImage
B
56
S
21
G
77
Posts: 637
Reputation: 43,963

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest