[UPDATED: 11.12.2017] The Big NW.js Roundup - Tips & Tricks

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Lof wrote:I was talking about windows capture, it still needs the --disable-direct-composition to work, I couldn't get game capture to work for quiet a while now regardless of version or args.

Works totally fine without --disable-direct-composition and without --single-process on my end, might be related to wrong settings or hardware differences?

EDIT:
Please upvote (react) THIS report of mine so we can get this single processing bug out of the way.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Are you sure you're talking about window mode and not screen/display mode?
That's the only one that works for me with --disable-direct-composition

I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

Actually this was originally reported to me by a player who uses an ATI adapter.

A long time ago when I tested it, it worked even in game mode (more than a year ago), but somewhere since then it got broken.

What settings can cause this?
I tried all the options available on OBS, none of them seemed to help.

Personally I do my recordings with NVIDIA built-in game recorder, works better than anything else, but it also needs --disable-direct-composition to work, and not everyone got a GTX 600+ for that.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 am

Lof wrote:I was talking about windows capture, it still needs the --disable-direct-composition to work, I couldn't get game capture to work for quiet a while now regardless of version or args.

Oh I didn't know Steam had it as a requirement, good to know, I was taking my time with it, I'll add it asap.

Nope it doesn't on my end, I'm using the exact same args and the same NW.js version and it works just fine.
Preview using "Window Mode" | "Window Mode" Properties | Recorded Video Playing Back In VLC ([email protected])

As far as I know Tinimations (creator of Klang) had to add it in order to pass the certification process but I'm not sure.
It's really hard to tell if you have to do it or not, I recommend trying to submit your game without it first and see if the certification process starts complaining or not.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 am

I noticed you're using the old OBS and not the new "Studio" version, I thought that might help, but it doesn't work either :(
When I switch out of the game window and it loses focus I can see the NW.js window frame with the game title in the recorder but the inside window is still black.

My game is already live on Steam for a few days now, but it's in early access, so maybe they treat it differently.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:56 am

Lof wrote:I noticed you're using the old OBS and not the new "Studio" version, I thought that might help, but it doesn't work either :(
When I switch out of the game window and it loses focus I can see the NW.js window frame with the game title in the recorder but the inside window is still black.

My game is already live on Steam for a few days now, but it's in early access, so maybe they treat it differently.

Make sure you record the inner window only and set the "sub-region" correctly. (No clue about version differences, I use Action!. :P)

I wish I could provide better help but NW.js and game recording/steaming is still a big issue and it looks like the upcoming versions will not fix these issues as well. I've tested out the latest NW.js nightly build with the recent Chromium version, game recording is also not working for that one.
I still think that single processing (when it works as intended again), will fix these recording issues.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Let me explain.

The video recording issue was related to the flickering issue. It was reported to the Chromium team and fixed with Chromium 56.

The point is that there is no NW.js version based on Chromium 56 yet and that's why we still have to use --disable-direct-composition as a workaround.

I assume that the roundup states How To: Workaround Recording Issues & Canvas Flickering (NW.js v0.14.0rc1 - v0.19.0) just because in the time @TheRealDannyyy wrote it, 0.19.0 was the latest version and we were all expecting new version to have Chromium 56 implemented. In other words it should be "... (NW.js v0.14.0rc1 - v0.19.2)" for today as Chromium 56 is still not there yet.

Interesting is that below it's written:
(Fixed for all NW.js versions starting from 0.19.1, use the workaround only in NW.js versions from 0.14.0rc1 to 0.19.0!)

Latest NWjs still uses Chromium 55

Was it somehow fixes with 0.19.1 and I missed it or was it written due to expectation that the next version will have it fixed @TheRealDannyyy?
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 pm

BackendFreak wrote:Let me explain.
The video recording issue was related to the flickering issue. It was reported to the Chromium team and fixed with Chromium 56.
The point is that there is no NW.js version based on Chromium 56 yet and that's why we still have to use --disable-direct-composition as a workaround.

EDIT: What BackendFreak said below, changed roundup back to v0.19.1 as expected.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Alright so I asked the NWjs team for clarification via Twitter (as they reply pretty quick on tweets) and they replied:

No idea when and where was it announced... but it seems that the fix is indeed implemented in 0.19.1 (haven't tested on my end yet)
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:04 am

NW.js RC1 based on chromium 56 works fine for me and the flickering issue is fixed.
https://dl.nwjs.io/live-build/01-11-201 ... f-8de33e2/
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 am

Updated the Roundup with the following changes:
  • <Added> How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Issues With Letterbox Scaling
  • <Added> How To: Modify/Remove Right-Click Context Menus
  • <Changed> How To: Only Have 1 Process While Running NW.js (NW.js v0.20.0+)
    The recent releases of NW.js also require you to manually disable the crash dumping process.
    I will add the crash dumping "deactivator" to the roundup as soon as it's out. [?]
  • <Removed> How To: Enable WebGL2 (Experimental Version)
    No longer required since future releases starting from Chromium V56 will have WebGL2 enabled by default.
    WebGL2 (Chromium V56) will most-likely be released in the stable branch by the end of January.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, see'ya!
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General