Updated my post on Tile Maps

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:35 pm

This forum has a lot of beginners and people who are new to game development, it would be ethical if you remove your blog link or amend the terminology as quick as possible. This can cause misleading idea on C2, I'm sure you don't want to do this to beginner, it can cause snowballing effect.

Note on the "tile" terminology, I think it would be much helpful if you don't force the term that is accepted outside C2 onto the community, because it is fairly established here that "tile" is referenced to tile background and tilemaps. For "sprite", people would just call it animation or just sprite. Use of terminology would certainly change, if you found something confusing, you should be requesting for terminology amendment from Ashley, not to use them to make your point.

I agree with shinkan, experienced users might laugh at the mishap, but misleading beginners is a bigger concern. This is a serious suggestion, I'm not joking.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:38 pm

My point was mainly about "And if you don't know the difference between Sprite and Tilemap that only means you need to learn a bit more"
Sprite and Tilemap as a different object you use in C2 - not "sprite sheet" nor "tile maps". So I'm not really sure why you keep talking about glossary, term etc.
And after reading through some of your other posts, you have a lot to learn.

...the world today is changing way to fast to sit on the sidelines and study until I know enough

sure, good luck.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Tilemap VS Sprite (arranged and used in a Tilemap manner)
Go and make a Boulderdash-style map/game. lets say 30 x 30 tiles (this is not that big, gameplay-wise) using sprites (Sprite Object) as tiles. Preview on Android. Write down CPU/FPS. Then do the same thing with Tilemap Object (again 30x30 tiles). Then compare the results of both tests.

And this is just a small BASIC example. Don't get so butthurt when people criticize you. Especially when they are someone far more expirienced then you are. I would take their advices regardless of their tone (which was rather neutral in this case, if you would ask me. ). You learn from the master, you teach the aprintences. This is how it works.

As for the terminology - things changes, yes. But the basics do not. Circle won't suddenly be called triangle. Even in 1000 years. Water won't burn and fire won't freze. Sprite sheet, tilemap, sprites, tiled bg, e.g - they never change. They have the same meaning from over 20-30 years. If you are not very familiar with them, it means you lack some basics. Ergo - your competence as a tutor is questionable. And this is what Shinkan has pointed out, i'd say politly. And believe me - out of all the people on this boards or/and the internet - he was the nicest commentator that could come around. It could been worse.

It could have been me.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:25 pm

My blog post (so far) seems to be accurate

In my opinion importing Kenney's tiles to a Sprite object (as an animation frames)
is not only ignorant, but also totally useless. And it has nothing in common with Tilemap object.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:47 pm

DuckfaceNinja wrote:This forum has a lot of beginners and people who are new to game development, it would be ethical if you remove your blog link or amend the terminology as quick as possible. This can cause misleading idea on C2, I'm sure you don't want to do this to beginner, it can cause snowballing effect.

Note on the "tile" terminology, I think it would be much helpful if you don't force the term that is accepted outside C2 onto the community, because it is fairly established here that "tile" is referenced to tile background and tilemaps. For "sprite", people would just call it animation or just sprite. Use of terminology would certainly change, if you found something confusing, you should be requesting for terminology amendment from Ashley, not to use them to make your point.

I agree with shinkan, experienced users might laugh at the mishap, but misleading beginners is a bigger concern. This is a serious suggestion, I'm not joking.

I'll change the terminology in my blog post.
Proud Construct 3 subscriber.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 pm

szymek wrote:
My blog post (so far) seems to be accurate

In my opinion importing Kenney's tiles to a Sprite object (as an animation frames)
is not only ignorant, but also totally useless. And it has nothing in common with Tilemap object.

I thought that because this technique of importing tiles into a sprite object was okay. After all, it was one of the main features of Ashley's tutorial on Platforming. You might want to read this page https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/253/how-to-make-a-platform-game/page-2 written by Ashley. He clearly is using the Sprite object and pulling in tiles from the Tiles.png bitmap which is given free to all Construct 2 buyers.

If this technique is not to be given to beginners, you should have Ashley remove it from the tutorials. It's clearly in the Tutorials -> Beginners -> Workflow section.

And rest assured, I will change every thing in my post so that it only talks about sprite sheets, the sprite object, but if it is okay with you, I will call the pieces of art inside the sprite sheet, tiles, following Ashley's lead in the tutorial cited above.

Or are you objecting to Kenney's tiles? :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:26 pm

irbis wrote:And believe me - out of all the people on this boards or/and the internet - he was the nicest commentator that could come around. It could been worse.

It could have been me.

I hadn't encountered not-nice commentators on the Construct 2 forums before today. I've been away and I guess things have changed.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:44 am

sure, Ashley could update tutorial with informations about Tilemap object
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:01 pm

I guess there's no right and no wrong ways to do things, just good and bad ways. ;) You may achieve something you think is OK with a method but then there's methods that will be simpler to use, faster to process and produce better result....

This is something every C2 newbie have to go through, no matter their history of other kinds of programming.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General