updating sounds IS A JOKE!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
75 explosion sound effects. Essential for many games, Explosions Sounds contains a mix of explosion and impact sounds.
  • and I thought updating a sprite was really bad...... then I dared to do something really complex like..... update a sound -

so there's no "reload file from disk"..... so I thought ok, just re-import it, a bit crap but hey, and... as most of you know it rename the sound!!!!!!!!

Importing and managing assets must be improved before adding new features like lighting!!!!!!!!!

• I think I mentioned this is your first post about images. Yep. I agree. Assets should be based on what's imported and managed by the developer. and not managed by C2. That way editing is done in the folders. I really don't like C2 asset management. I know supposedly you can, but due to how C2 organizes and names and stuff. It's all a pain.

I agree. There are a few key developer components that need to be tackeled. And they aren't.

Modularity

Asset management

asset store

Whatever order you want to put it in. however we have seen tile editor, multiplayer, shadows and all sorts of other additions and fixes since a poll was held about 2 years ago. And out of of all the actual productivity features wanted. only improvements to UI and the Debugger has been done. none of the others. sigh.

In C2 until asset management is better by being more fluid. It's best to use prototype fillers. then add the finished assets at the end.

• I had no problems with sound, but I fully agree that priorities in Scirra updates are somewhat strange, do not care who they bring new things, but I wish they made some sort of announcement of what is considered for future updates. That way the community could choose, and choosing priorities, add new or change existing ones.

The construct is what it is today by the community and its users, it would be a big step something like that.

• As I understand the priority to C2 is.

anything not part of the IDE. ie stuff that requires C++ programming. Some get's done. But it's much farther between. Plugins and logic flow(ie JS) get's worked on more.

• jayderyu

As I understand the priority to C2 is.

anything not part of the IDE. ie stuff that requires C++ programming. Some get's done. But it's much farther between. Plugins and logic flow(ie JS) get's worked on more.

That's a shame. There are some simple things I would really love the IDE to do that would make navigating code and debugging so much easier. Multiplayer was an epic addition and it's great that I can more easily add shadows now but damn i wish the IDE would just highlight my search results when looking for usages I'm debugging or offer a collapse all on functions like it does for groups.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yup. Asset management is pain in the a**, but they're running a business here, community wishes and actions are not a priority and we don't know what information drives their decision to spend time on twitter plugin and such, but not on making asset management easier.

I really hope they let the community to create twitter-like plugins, and spend their time making C2 IDE a better place, starting with asset management and asset store. I cannot tell how many nights i spent tinkering on this problems, and just decided not to spend any time working on it seeing how Scirra reacts when community tries to make improvements on C2.

However, it such a great tool on many other fields. Let's give them time, for now they are doing an ok job. We cannot make IDE a better place, but we can create good plugins, and community proved that long time ago.

And yes, updating sounds is a joke that bites your a** late in the development.

Edit: Superb response time on a request (r175). IDE is a better place now regarding asset management.

• As a solution to the sound, all you have to do is save the game project in Folder format, then overwrite the sound files in Construct. If you need to use the IDE to convert to the OGG and AAC formats then you can import under a different name, then in Windows re-name/overwrite the original SFX.

To me, Construct 2 engine/core and plugins are the most important parts to focus on for now. The resource management is a bit bare-bones, but it does work. I'd rather that they are done after the main game engine has all of the original features and modularity/team development options that were originally planned.

• i don't change assets every day, so for me it's not a problem to rename one in a while.

but i can understand people who have a lot of asset changes and iterations. it's a big pain.

maybe there should be a separate tool in the ide, that lets you browse the asset folders and copy/delete with 1 click

• For what it's worth, I heard some very good advice on this subject a while ago. Use a Dictionary object and set a key to the audio file name you want to play. Then, to play sounds, select "Play (by name)" and get the file name from the key value that you set earlier. Then, if you need to update an audio file, all you need to do is import the new audio file and change the name in the appropriate Dictionary key. The old file(s) can be deleted and you won't need to find every audio command in your game events to change the reference. For example:

[attachment=0:tuxslrxz][/attachment:tuxslrxz]

• For what it's worth, I heard some very good advice on this subject a while ago. Use a Dictionary object and set a key to the audio file name you want to play. Then, to play sounds, select "play by name" and get the file name from the key value that you set earlier. Then, if you need to update an audio file, all you need to do is import the new audio file and change the name in the appropriate Dictionary key. The old file(s) can be deleted and you won't need to find every audio command in your game events to change the reference. For example:

[attachment=0:27bfzufw][/attachment:27bfzufw]

Why don't you skip all that and just use the Play (by name) option in the audio? I am using that for futureproofing since my past projects have the issues that the thread starter is speaking of. Especially when you team up with a competent audiobro who keep doing iteration to improve the overall music atmosphere. What I find out is that if you use Play (by name), you can delete the previous audio file and put in a new one without any difficulty at all.

• Why don't you skip all that and just use the Play (by name) option in the audio? I am using that for futureproofing since my past projects have the issues that the thread starter is speaking of. Especially when you team up with a competent audiobro who keep doing iteration to improve the overall music atmosphere. What I find out is that if you use Play (by name), you can delete the previous audio file and put in a new one without any difficulty at all.

That would also work. I like to be able to try out a bunch of different sounds by having them all imported into C2 at the same time and then trying back-to-back comparisons. Using a dictionary allows me to do that by changing just one reference.

• Just come up with an iterative naming scheme. Something like play by name "soundfx"&myVariable.

• ok! Ashley has responded to the re-importing sounds and sprites problem in another thread... so hopefully soon we will all be saving a load of time and pain...

Its very impressive that Ashley is so active in the forums and listens to our problems... credit to him.

• Jayjay and Colludium's solutions are the best, depending on what you want to accomplish. Still, it's a shame that we can't have an option to right-click and replace a sound...

• For what it's worth, I heard some very good advice on this subject a while ago. Use a Dictionary object and set a key to the audio file name you want to play. Then, to play sounds, select "Play (by name)" and get the file name from the key value that you set earlier. Then, if you need to update an audio file, all you need to do is import the new audio file and change the name in the appropriate Dictionary key. The old file(s) can be deleted and you won't need to find every audio command in your game events to change the reference. For example:

[attachment=0:17qrc95n][/attachment:17qrc95n]

That's one way. You can also just make a function, so there is only one play event per sound.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)