Urgent question about sound, files, and exe's

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:38 am

Okay, so here is what I've determined regarding the "You can't have a layout object set to view its own layout!" problem:

*I went ahead and erased all 4 of the layout objects from the layouts. I then packaged the .exe and the game now runs perfectly.

I can't explain why the .exe I ran yesterday played fine. The only difference between the file I ran yesterday and the one today, is that yesterdays was just a raw .exe while today's was an .exe within a zip file. I don't see how it could make a dramatic difference to how it operates, but that's the only contrast that there's been when comparing both days.

As a sidenote, I should mention that apppath & "MyNewGameSounds\LetsRock.wav" only produced silence in my project.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:43 am

[quote="Arima":21zt84k2]That's why I tell people to steer clear of the layout object. Too buggy. :( [/quote:21zt84k2]

It's such a great object idea though, I hope they can get that worked out.

I wonder why it's been working fine all this time in my .caps for this project, but now it suddenly crashes as an .exe? But even more odd, is that it worked perfectly with the first .exe of this project I ran yesterday.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:09 am

[quote="MrMiller":216gd6eu]I wonder why it's been working fine all this time in my .caps for this project, but now it suddenly crashes as an .exe? But even more odd, is that it worked perfectly with the first .exe of this project I ran yesterday.[/quote:216gd6eu]

No clue. Try saving a fresh .cap in the same directory as your game and try to find the correct directory path from there. Also, are you using autoplay?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:11 am

[quote="Arima":ls884nxx]
No clue. Try saving a fresh .cap in the same directory as your game and try to find the correct directory path from there. Also, are you using autoplay?[/quote:ls884nxx]

Nah, no autoplay. Only load file actions and play channel actions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:32 am

Well, I got it all set now. But only some of the sound files play while others do nothing :evil:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:13 pm

If all the sound and music file names are correct, then it's a bug. I'm sorry that happened to you :(
B
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Yup, all the file names are exact. I used a chart to match each file name, then checked both 10 times to make sure. Start of layout sounds don't play in any of the three layouts where it's present. A sound connected to a button command doesn't play either. There is also some ambient sound that's supposed to start at Start of layout, but that doesn't play as well. Everything works fine in the .cap but the exe's sounds are mostly dead.

I've been using .62, maybe this has all been fixed since then. I'm not sure I have the patience (and I'm already past the agreed deadline) to go back and figure out what might be causing the bug. The project is a prototype for a publisher and since I planned to make a video anyway, I can use the .cap to make the video since it seems to play everything with no problems and I'll send that along with the game.

I'll of course be using the newer version of Construct for any new projects I do.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:04 pm

So I tried to make a video of the prototype using Fraps, and the prototype crashed and Fraps crashed with it, LOL! Apparently, there is something with the audio causing the crash.

Gotta love it.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic