Vector graphics support?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:19 am

@mepis
From reading your post. You seemed to have have lumped vector and flash animation as the same thing. This however is not the case.

C2 would treat a vector.svg image as a single object in C2. C2 wouldn't be breaking the svg down into component bits and applying different a collison box to each.

Flash animation is usualy composed of either a group of images or svg images and are animated on time frames. Then during runtime the rendered also handles tweening. This is similar to 3D graphics.

Now if you saying that mobiles can't run tweening graphics then I have a large library of 3D games can say other wise.

But that still brings the matter to vector rendering which can be heavy. however with some trickery you can do vector graphics and run with fine runtime. Examining the situation. Vectors are best sizing and deformation. If this is the case. There is a unique 3D rendering technique I can't remember what's it called at the moment. But it's pretty nifty and offers massive performance benefits by reducing render overload.

The trick is to create a mini canvas equal to the size of the object. Render the SVG to the the canvas. use the canvas as the sprite. This way your not constantly rendering the SVG. Now when canvas image needs to change due to colour, deformation or resizing. Then it's just a matter of re-rendering the SVG to the canvas component again. Doing that means you get the benefit of SVG and the render time of sprites.

So it's very doable to do full flash animation on mobile devices. It's just a matter of being of being efficient with resources and working around the hurdles. often taking the simple straight forward method can be worked around :).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:35 am

It's something I'll have to look into more. But knowing the limitations of JS and it's uses and combining that with the math for collision detection and everything else, plus the other added effects, I can see it being a problem. If a vector based image could be rendered at run time and not changed or transformed I could see it being easier.

I'm also not argueing that mobile platforms can't handle such things. Obviously the Adreno et all chipsets are meant to. But again, C2 exports games as Javascript. I'm willing to put money down that your library of 3D games are programmed in Java or Native C. The Dalvik engine and kernel modules in Android and compiled machine code for Objective C on iOS allow for much more capabilities. Javascript interpreters on mobile platforms, for lack of a better way to put it, suck. That kind of interpretation is better done by a X86 based processor than an ARM based SOC. The problem with using more intense things with C2 for mobile is that it depends on CocoonJS and other wrappers to interpret the JS to Java. Sure, it'll make it faster and Dalvik will take over interpreting it, but it's still like translating English to Spaniard Spanish and give it to a Puerto Ricon to read aloud. They'll get it, but the differences are enough that'll it'll trip that person up.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:37 am

Again, I'm not arguing that vector based graphics don't have their uses and that they're not a good tool. But they are just a tool and using that tool with this tool set may not work the best.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:48 am

Well to be fair. I wouldn't ever considering running the game through the native mobile browser. I consider that idea just to be bad. For me it's wrapper or no go. This might be the difference in our perspectives on the situation.

I see it problem as a non factor as I would be using CocoonJS, GameClosure, Eject and not Safari or Android Chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:48 pm

[QUOTE=tumira] Hi

Just want to share that GameMaker just added support for vector graphics.

http://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/33[/QUOTE]

I saw this news today. So GREAT for GM, still SAD for Construct 2
Create HTML5 games
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 pm

[QUOTE=Lihodey] [QUOTE=tumira] Hi

Just want to share that GameMaker just added support for vector graphics.

http://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/33[/QUOTE]

I saw this news today. So GREAT for GM, still SAD for Construct 2[/QUOTE]Yeah but that's for Flash-based proprietary SWF files. Not something like SVG, which means they probably pocketed some money from Adobe, considering SWF files are created from their ever-retardedly-expensive software while Inkscape, which is OPEN SOURCE and FREE, can make SVG files which are just as good.

So in reality the news means nothing. It just means Adobe is probably struggling to get someone interested in a dying product.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:33 pm

thats a good point. Toonboom studio also can export to swf. But the exporter is not great- it bakes the tweens an flattens the layers. Plus doesnt seem to support some effects (i think,not sure)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:34 pm

swf is a crappy proprietary format. I hope svg kills it one day
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:12 am

If vectors would ever been introduced in construct, then new sets off tools would have to added, cause it would be pointless to have polygonal objects and not be able to animate them within the editor. For now don't worry about vector graphics.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:30 am

I think it would be great to create a minimal vector based game like Pew Pew:

The Vectrex could draw some crisp lines in the 80's :)

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General