Very slow performance on Mobile

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi!
So I think it will be the best if I post the capx file here:
http://yurinkastudio.com/games/gameIce.capx

Please review and let me know where did I go Wrong :)

I work on 640, 960 resolution (to fit Iphones best) but Im not sure thats the best...

Thanks for Helping!
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:08 am

The hitboxes for the spikes are too punishing, be more forgiving with the users. It's probably a rectangle, also, use a triangle even at the cost of performance, because if they game feels bad, no one will play it even if it's super fast.
If you want to stick to a square, move it way up, I'd say 70% of the current height of the object.

Try removing the particle systems one by one and see if it helps. I think you create a ton of them when you move left or right.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 am

yurinkab wrote:Hi!
So I think it will be the best if I post the capx file here:
http://yurinkastudio.com/games/gameIce.capx

The game lags for me on a phone only when touching to move the player. In the events you spawn a new Particles object every tick while in a touch, and each instance spawns 50 particles as a one-shot effect. So that single action alone is spawning about 3000 particles per second while in a touch. So your game is probably spending the vast majority of its CPU time simulating and issuing draw calls for those particles.

Don't use particles so wastefully! This isn't Construct 2 or mobile devices being slow, it's just extraordinarily inefficient game design.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 pm

Tough, but true.
Thanks for the input.
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Do you know if there is a way to check how the game will work on different devices virtually?

And what do you think will be the best way to spawn particles on movement of the character? (I want to show that its like a dust under his fit)
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:10 pm

Use a lot less particles, to start with, and then add it under an "Every" event to e.g. only spawn every 0.2 seconds or something like that.

For testing performance, there is no good way other than to test on a real device. You can't really reliably fake a device being slower (and obviously being faster than itself is impossible).
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:28 pm

use an animated sprite at the feet looking like particles instead of using particles.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General