VERY weird "Play Animation" bug.

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:28 pm

Mail sent.
B
G

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:38 am

Sorry for the late response.

I've gone over your cap front and back, even going so far as re-writing both your entire animation and controls event sheets, and making all of your animations (even the static ones) four frames. It still has the same problem... the run animation will eventually stop and get stuck on frame 1. I have no idea why it's doing this. Hopefully Ashley will be able to find the problem.

Anyway, I did do some streamlining on your code though, I can send you a commented .cap of the changes if you like. For instance, I was able to condense your animation sheet down to just two events, and your dust spawning effect down to just one.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Well so far I've had a look and the reason the animation is stuck on frame 1 is because of your coding: make the red detector visible that you use to check if the player is standing on the ground, and it goes flying off somewhere because you made some kind of hinge. You really should remove its physics movement and just fix it in place with set X/set Y actions. Then it never gets stuck on the first frame, because it can properly tell when you're on the ground.

As for the object changing size, that's a bug in Construct I need to hunt down :P
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't mean to be contrary Ashley, but that's not it. I mean, yeah that could be a problem, but that's not what's causing the animation bug. I was working with the .cap for hours with the detector visible, and the animation still stops even when the detectors are in the correct place. In fact I never once saw the detector fly away, it was always in the correct spot, so the animation bug isn't the detector's fault. And I don't know if electrii sent you a different version than what I got, but he had the detector set up with "Aways: set to position" rather than with a hinge in the file he sent to me.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:17 am

[quote="deadeye":psvygmo9]Sorry for the late response.
Anyway, I did do some streamlining on your code though, I can send you a commented .cap of the changes if you like. For instance, I was able to condense your animation sheet down to just two events, and your dust spawning effect down to just one.[/quote:psvygmo9]
That would be great! I'd also love a way to reduce the bounce a little, it's proving to be a bit more bothersome than I thought it would be.. I don't care about how it looks, it just makes landing and immediatly jumping less responsive than i'd like.

You would of course get full credit if I finish this :)

Also, I doubt the detector is the problem, since it still recognizes when to switch to the correct animation..
B
G

Post » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:29 pm

[quote="electrii":3hd2dfcu]
That would be great! I'd also love a way to reduce the bounce a little, it's proving to be a bit more bothersome than I thought it would be.. I don't care about how it looks, it just makes landing and immediatly jumping less responsive than i'd like.[/quote:3hd2dfcu]

File sent. I didn't correct the bounce, for reasons I explain in the PM, but all the other code tweaks I made are commented.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic