Viability of Real-Time Multiplayer in HTML5

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:33 am

I'm digging this topic off it's grave since the HTML5 spec has been finalized and 2012 ended.

@Kyatric, as the video said, DataChannel would be ready by the end of the year, do you have any news on it? I'm trying to dig around the web but so far I'm out of luck.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:47 am

@Fimbul: Well all I know is that for now the dev of audio/video protocol/communication is available in chrome (with flag switch I think for now, or maybe in beta) and that January's release of FF should have it too.

But for the DataChannel I believe we will have to wait longer (I'd expect around 6 months, but it's just a personal guess).
After all, once the video chat part of webRTC is stable, DataChannel would be almost complete too, the major difference being the user has the choice of the datas to send/receive whereas it's fixed streams for the video chat.Kyatric2013-01-01 00:47:30
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:58 am

Browser Quest is open source, aren't there any useful information for you guys?
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 am

@Astrosus, it uses TCP from what I've seen. The gameplay is too basic, too, but thanks for the contribution!

We need UDP to enable twitchy fast-paced real time gaming with HTML5.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:17 pm

It's not simply WebRTC that's needed. There's also the need of a solution added on top of that to discover available devices on the same network (la Bonjour/mDNS), or do something to punch holes inside firewalls, to work without a central server.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm

@Pode: WebRTC relies on a server to client communication, only it happens to be "transparent" in the end.
The server (also referred to as wabRTC cloud) is a mere medium to transport streams from a client to another.
It still is not a direct peer-to-peer connection.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:52 pm

@Kyatric : I need to find a discussion I saw about it. Chrome dev are planning to integrate something like that into the engine. (I'm pretty sure I didn't hallucinate it )
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 am

Whilst UDP is all well and good. ..Is there perhaps some confusion between that and well designed architecture.

I believe good multi-player gaming can be achieved with TCP.

First off all, we need a optimised methods of transit and a means - socket.io. Many guys here have already demo'd the use of this.

We should, in theory (and with some mods), be able to use c2runtime.js on both server and client side with some 'middleware' that deals with Client Side Prediction and Entity Interpolation.

http://www.gabrielgambetta.com/?p=11

http://buildnewgames.com/real-time-multiplayer/

What's interesting about the above article is the structure of the game:

client.js - The logic for the game client setup in the browser.
app.js - The server side app to run on node. This handles all the node/express/socket.io set up and code.
game.server.js - The logic for the game server (lobby).
game.core.js - The logic for the game play itself, both server and client.

Until I've created for myself and failed or seen a game output here with these methodologies, I can't believe it can't be done (double negative ;))

B

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:58 am

As an addition the Photon server mentioned above by Velojet, I stumbled upon SmartFox server recently, did you guys check it out already? They say it supports UDP as well
Smartfox

EDIT: ooh there's more more actually
Netty.io
Union
Cubeia

(btw I have no idea how to code all this, good luck guys we're counting on you^^)lemo2013-02-05 06:19:57
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 am

@lemo Smartfox doesn't include any HTML5 example, it means no HTML5 support.

Orbiter uses WebSocket, old news.

Cubeia, only for Java, not javascript!

A lot of people thinks Java is javascript, it's another huge mistake

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General