Viability of Real-Time Multiplayer in HTML5

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:06 pm

@Fimbul
I'm betting Ashley is cooking up a simple P2P set of game protocols. I'm hoping there will be latency handling and predetermine positioning though.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:26 pm

We've done our own tests with TCP which show games are just totally unplayable over poor quality links. TCP does fine where there's a high quality connection, but if your ISP is crap or there is high congestion on the network between you and the host, UDP is essential to keep the game playable. I guess round-robin TCP connections would get by as well, but what's really needed is out-of-order delivery which UDP excels at.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 pm

I will agree with that. And much to my surprise poor ISP connections can be found in my own city of Vancouver. My friend who lives in our downtown HUB had very poor performance in my TCP game. I suspect if I handled TCP messages better I could get around that. TCP requires more overheard to handle latency problems where as UDP just needs redundancy for lost information. UDP is probably easier in the long run than handling TCP latency.

However as a counter he does play Guild Wars and WoW and other TCP games with no problems. He is also an active player of League of Legends, but I'm pretty sure that one is UDP.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 pm

I don't have the slightest clue what is going on here but I read Ashley blog just now regarding webRTC...

I'm not quite sure what to expect... so... I hope some of you can give a very easy to understand explanation/answer...

So multiplayer caught my interest just a few minutes ago so my noob questions are:

1. If i want to make a multiplayer, if C2 finally support webRTC, does it mean I only need to make the client?
  2. Will i need a server if my game is kind of arcade-action-fighting game like street fighter?
  3. Does it mean local-hosted-wifi-multiplayer will be possible (no internet connection)
  4. Will the multiplayer previewing supported? let say I want my laptop VS my mobile phone VS my iPad
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:49 am

There is a game engine called isogenic that seens to be able to support a fast multiplayer trough node.js:
http://www.isogenicengine.com/
Maybe thats an option? I dont know what their license is, but Construct 2 could license their solution if its any good.
I would gladly pay extra for a multiplayer module.
Also, check their isometric engine, it supports isometric TMX and thats sweeet.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General