visual event editor

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:14 am

it possible to see that something like this

dataflow :roll:
B
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:15 am

a setup like that would get UNBELIEVABLY messy and hard to organize/debug with large games.

and no, it's not possible to display the event sheet like that.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:23 am

I agree with Davio.... If you have a large project, that could clutter it up BADLY making everything confusing and hard to access.
Construct already has a great event editor anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 am

I have to agree with everyone else. While it might be even more understandable than an ordinary event, look at how much room it takes! An entire screen, and for what looks like one event!

Assuming you can scroll horizontally and vertically, a full game like that would have a massive "field" of randomly placed flowchart tools. Events at least are linear - you can only scroll up and down, not to mention more compact - so it's a lot easier to find things.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 am

Agreed too, while it can look purdy sometimes. I really don't need yet another program that looks like this once you start delving into things.

It makes my head hurt, lol.

Though I admit for simple things it can be useful and easy to understand, but yeah it's painful when it gets to complex stuff.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Perhaps for small tasks like setting up fx. What would be really cool is something like this used to set up timelines, hell why not take advantage of the connection lines, and make a path object out of it. :lol:
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 pm

[quote="newt":1g5q10cd]Perhaps for small tasks like setting up fx. What would be really cool is something like this used to set up timelines, hell why not take advantage of the connection lines, and make a path object out of it. :lol:[/quote:1g5q10cd]

Hmm, spline based paths and keyframing. What a lovely Christmas present that would make, *smiles at the devs hopefully* :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:29 pm

I've been using the UDK a bit and I'm familiar with the 'Kismet' tool they have which allows you to make small programs to control things like openning a door. The main advantage to such a thing is sequential stuff. Its really easy to setup a system where you press a switch, the door opens, it waits for 5 seconds, then the door closes.

Whereas with traditional programming methods you do something like:

OnSwitchPress
--- Tell the door to play open animation

On door open animation finished
--- Initialise a timer

On timer finished
--- Tell the door to close

And the problem with this is other 'features' can clash. For example, lets say you have another switch which perminently opens the door

OnPerminantSwitchPress

But now you have a problem... 'On door open animation finished' will be triggered! So as a result you make a variable inside door like 'lockedForever' and you end up with this:

//Feature 1

OnSwitchPress

On door open animation finished
perminent is not true
--- Initialise a timer

On timer finished
--- Tell the door to close

// Feature 2

OnPerminantSwitchPress
--- Set door to 'perminent'

But as you can see Feature 2 affects Feature 1...so it can all get ugly.

Whereas with a flowcart you create this:

Door is the same object, but a different instance in the programming.

So the flowchart method can be quite handy.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:47 pm

[quote="David":9hkuhzhe]interesting stuff[/quote:9hkuhzhe]

ok, so I geuss the ultimate solution would be an option for a special "flowchart" block for the event sheet. Clean events for regular stuff, flowcharts for annoying to set up variable triggered clutter.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Yeah lets go green, and recycle events. :P
Image Image
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion