Void Runner - Bringing Construct to its knees...

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Oh.

Well... it's a very nice texture, then. :wink:

Is this project inspired by "Elite" in any way?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:24 pm

In my opinion, now you should concentrate on how to detail, how to improve the graphical aspect (maybe perlin noise is not that "eye candy", for instance some rock sprites randomly set up on the planets may look better), how to enable the player to interact with planets, etc...

I don't think you should set up a story mode, it has to be an endless exploration. Do you know the web game "Alphabounce" ? Your work made me think about it.

Great work !
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:58 pm

What you are looking at is simply the ground texture layer. There will be an object detail layer on top of it filled with rocks and trees and stuff. I was trying to figure out a way to do that layer without resorting to a tilemap, array, or perlin noise, and I think I've come up with something. I'm off work today and that is actually what is next on the list.

The reason I avoided those three things was because they would contribute to that "randomly generated look" mentioned earlier in the thread.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:47 pm

You are a man after my own heart Arsonide. I love this kind of stuff.

Very interested to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:44 pm

[quote="Arsonide":1ssi4221]There will be an object detail layer on top of it filled with rocks and trees and stuff. I was trying to figure out a way to do that layer without resorting to a tilemap, array, or perlin noise[/quote:1ssi4221]

have a grid, with 3 perlin noise layers in it. Say they're 0-100. You'll have a grid size in x,y and a density threshold for the planet.
For each point in the grid:
if the value in the density noise layer is bigger than the planet threshold, the object stays.
the object then gets displaced by the percentage of the grid size indicated by the other two noise layers.

tada! since this also relies on perlin, you may do perlin tricks with it :) (it's repeatable)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:27 am

The next build I release publically is going to have objects on the planets, varying planet sizes, alien life, weaponry, and very rarely ruins with alien artifacts in them, which may be sold at space stations that will spawn in deep space for money. The money will be worthless at the time of that release, but at least the whole thing will have a "point".

I estimate all of that will be a few weeks from now. Maybe less. I have a vacation coming up this week but you know...Quakecon. :)

EDIT: Ok, perhaps a bit sooner than that...

It's funny. I didn't tell my artist what I added, I just told him it was a surprise update and to go check out the planets. Well the aliens spawn out of the damn trees, and he's been working in a barren universe for a while, so he pretty much wet his pants when the first one attacked him.

"Hey what's that red bar on the UI?" "I dunno must be a bug or something."
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:39 am

you must finish this game.. seriously, or else i will kill you
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 am

It's like Spore and Alien Breed mixed together - can't go wrong :D
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Man, kudos both for you and your artist.
B
G

Post » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:05 am

I was working on a game somewhat similar to this back in my Megazeux days. You played as a space pirate, and you went from planet to planet fighting enemies and stealing treasure. Treasure would allow you to purchase upgrades for your ship and weapons and so forth. I got a good deal of work done on it, but I admit, it wasn't nearly as random or as infinite as this thing here.

May I suggest a random name generator, to generate star system and/or planet names? I'm not entirely sure about how you could implement this idea, but you could probably think of something easily enough. (Unless of course you've already implemented something like that, and I just can't tell)

Anyway, keep up the good work.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion