Void Runner - Bringing Construct to its knees...

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:12 pm

[quote="Razza":rerlpozz]May I suggest a random name generator, to generate star system and/or planet names?[/quote:rerlpozz]

Check the last link I posted, up in the top left you'll see I'm on planet "Apyor 6", which I've changed to roman numerals "Apyor VI". Now when you click planets, the ship computer (text to speech object), will say the name of the planet, and a few details about it, like population, moons, type, size, etc.

But my big project right now is coming up with this system to randomly generate ship interiors. It will be used both for the player ship (you should be able to walk around your ship as you fly it), and when boarding enemy ships, or derelict vessels:

I made branches symmetrical so they don't have that "deflated testicle" look anymore. I've already changed this to generate an actual tilemap, with walls and stuff. I'll probably have a workable version up tonight and post a screenshot.

The more I think about the system I've used, the more excited I get about it. I am fairly sure I could modify it to generate spacestation interiors and buildings and dungeons on planets! :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 am

Oh my god!!!! This is seriously my dream game. I really hope you finish it....I love space games. Just don't make it too random and have cool missions and I'll be the first to buy it. :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:15 am

As promised, a couple of ships from the current iteration of my ship generator, none touched by hand: Ship Number One, Ship Number Two, and my personal favorite, Ship Number Three (I swear. I didn't touch it!):

B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Oh lord, this is awesome.
B
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Made a little video showing progress, a little bit about where we're going with it, etc. I used my best pilot voice. "Attention passengers, we will be experiencing mild turbulence for the next five minutes or so. Please remain seated."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6FQ82PtnE
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm working on something similar. How have you dealt with wrapping the ship seamlessly? (surely you can't just use unbounded scrolling and allow the player to go to huge x/y coords. Won't this use lots of memory and make calculations less reliable etc.)

cheers
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 am

Might I ask how the layouts work in a project like this? I've always wanted to limit it to as few as possible, and with this being generated the way it is, I'm curious if it uses a few or maybe just one?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:26 am

We are currently using one layout for space, one layout for planet surfaces, one layout for interior generation, and a main menu layout.

EDIT: I needed a break with all the ship stuff. I made some progress on it today, but I decided to implement weather. Rain, Snow, and Ash Storms are implemented and persistent. Some planets are more prone to storms than others. Tomorrow I'll plow ahead on the ship stuff a bit more and implement moons around planets and space stations in deep space sectors.

Oh and I also added a main menu that lets you spawn where you want in any universe you want: http://screencast.com/t/MzYwMTMyOGU

Till next time gents.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 am

We're still alive. Making good progress. The list of changes is huge. Weather, detail objects, main menu, ship interiors, ship internal systems (power, navigation, etc), space stations with a nifty docking animation, etc... The next release won't be coming until ship internals are complete, inventory is added, and all interiors are at least generated. (Caves, Buildings on planets, and space stations.) Here's some pictures.

Inside the ship...

On a lava world...

On a jungle planet...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:09 am

Hit a snag doing the power subsystems in the ship - you can see the tile based solution we were trying before in the last screencap of the ship interior. I think I've found a good solution now. Here's a quick screencap of the testbed application for our new freeform power system:

Wires were created at runtime, and are draggable. Movie Time!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion