Void Runner - Bringing Construct to its knees...

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:16 pm

I hope you're right, because I'm in the same situation as you! Have been working on my dream project for about three years, but rarely have enough time. I've never felt like I'm going to abandon it even if it sometimes goes months without me touching it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:41 am

This is a pretty simple version of data in its infancy. I am hooking up a fan to a diagnostic console. In the future the console will show if the fan is on or off, which is useful when you have 20-30 fans running that all require frequent repairs and maintenance. We decided to simplify the data system a bit, more for the player than anything. Wireless connections will open up the possibility of hijacking enemy signals and messing with them, as well as other possibilities.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:29 am

This is looking so awesome Arsonide, I want to play it! Love where you're planning to take the gameplay. I've also been making heavy use of your perlin plugin in my project, its a ton of fun. Thanks a lot for sharing it! :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Spent the last day or so redoing the generic walls and floor tiles we had. They now look a lot better. Was pretty rough getting this to play nice with the generator.

The ship internals are in a beta state, we're going to spend time working on adding machines for a while, things like the engines, artificial gravity generators, crafting equipment...stuff like that. We can't really flush out the data system until we have more "things" to work with. But speaking of gravity - I have made the player a physics object, and made gravity affect him. Good times were had bouncing around the ship in zero-g. :P
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:07 am

We've been working on generating persistent ship traffic. (Procedural AI ships that stick around in a sector for a while, and then move on.) Been having some trouble generating the external model of the ship, but work is progressing slowly.

I am replying now because we have had an internal discussion on whether we want to move to Construct 2 or not. We are one of the few large projects that would be impacted by the transition. Since C2 will have no backwards compatibility, we would have to restart from scratch - however, a lot of the code concepts we are more familiar with now, and all of the art is complete...so it would likely be quicker. That is the downside, but the upside is obvious...with the universal formats being used in Construct 2, the Linux crowd will show up and start pumping out some sick plugins, which could REALLY help Void Runner in the long run. Of course, the downside is pretty huge for a two man team - we were fairly disappointed with the decision to drop 1.0 after so much discussion of it. We had no compulsion to migrate up to 2.0, as we assumed all the quirks of 0.9x would be worked out at some point, but obviously things have changed.

Our decision was to keep a close eye on how the community surrounding Construct 2 evolves, and to familiarize ourselves with the program itself, but to stick with Construct 0.92 for the moment. It's the version we've been using since we started. If the community flourishes, we will begin a painful migration process...if not, we won't.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:10 pm

can I get the cap for this in construct classic? thanks I'd like to learn from your project
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:48 am

hey, but havent you migrated to Unity? i remember some sick videos from you with "sun flare" over a planet. why you gone back to CC?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:59 am

[QUOTE=blockcrisis] can I get the cap for this in construct classic? thanks I'd like to learn from your project[/QUOTE]
I have been discussing open sourcing this with the rest of the team...they aren't enthusiastic about it at this time, but perhaps I can swing a few votes. I'm working on it. Keep in mind that even if I did open source it - a lot of it is in the form of a custom plugin (straight C++ code), that was not meant for public consumption. It's quite homebrew. If you can sort through that, you could probably do something with this.

We migrated from Unity to this - not the other way around.Arsonide2011-07-14 10:02:25
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion