Wandering Sage Presents: Subject 66(Image Heavy)

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Oddly enough we considered making it point and click, but we changed our minds early on :D

(You can thank Aeals girl for that)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:48 am

I still haven't received my PM regarding testing.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Ok sorry about this but it will take us just a few more hours. Our game got some bad bugs from some last minute changes yesterday we are trying to Iron them out and the give you the alpha.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 4:47 pm

The first post has been updated to include a beta version please test it and pm either amsems or I with any bugs
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey, this has come a long way :). Looking good.

To the bugs:

- I somehow managed to get past the solid boundary for the pantry without triggering the exit, and I couldn't get back into the pantry proper in order to exit the room:

- Z sorting issues:

- The "Quit" option on the menu screen doesn't work, I have to Alt-F4 to exit.

- There doesn't appear to be any way to exit the Credits screen once the credits are over.

- If I Alt-Tab away from the program then return it crashes with an "Invalid texture referenced" message.

- The "Look at something" pic and message text often times don't reset when you walk away from the object of interest.

- The "what room this door goes to" text often shows the room you're currently in, rather than the room the door is going to.

I've also come across several spelling and grammar errors, I suppose I could write them all down if you want.

As for the game design itself, there are a couple of issues I have.

- When the girls are having a conversation at the beginning, perhaps you should have a shot of them facing each other and talking. Having Anna looking away towards the player the whole time is a bit odd.

Some of the events towards the beginning are a bit ambiguous.

- Why would Anna's father get fired? Is he the caretaker of the manor? Does he have the keys? If they don't know where to find the keys at the beginning then how did they get the keys between the conversation and the manor? Perhaps add a line of dialogue that's something along the lines of "Just because my father is the caretaker doesn't mean we have free run of the place."

- There is a loose board in the foyer, perhaps move that board to the place where the girls drop the key and make it more obvious that the key was dropped down the crack. Like, by saying "Oh crap, the key fell down the crack." "Nice going, dipshit." Or something like that :P

- When Anna pushes Bell it's not really apparent that it's an accident. It just sort of looks like she intentionally did it. Change up the dialogue a bit to reflect this fact, perhaps something like so:

Anna: You jerk, don't scare me like that!
*push*
Bell: Whoa!
*fall*
*Anna looks down hole*
Anna: Oh my god! Bell, are you okay?
Bell: Yeah, I think so. Why did you push me?
Anna: I didn't mean, to, I'm so sorry...
Bell: Well, I think I'm stuck down here, you better come help me out...
Anna: Okay, I'm on my way. Hang on.

And every time after that Anna checks the dumbwaiter you get a message saying "I'd better hurry down there to help Bell..." or something like that.

- Anna herself looks a bit, er.. well, like she has a lazy eye. I never noticed it before. But now that I see it I can't stop staring at her freaky eye. I know it'd probably be a pain to fix, but you'd really only need to fix the "facing downwards" animations, as they're the only ones where you see her face full-on. She just needs her pupils centered and it'll be fine.

Anyway, I haven't gotten too far into it yet, I'll report back more later :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 13, 2009 4:24 am

I got stuck in a wall at one point and had to quit, but some bugs aside I'm very impressed with your efforts. I felt like I was playing a classic horror/mystery game from the late DOS/Win95 days (with better visuals). The music and images create an outstanding atmosphere.

The dialogue... not so much. Sorry to nitpick. :oops:

Good luck, and keep up the impressive work! 8)
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 13, 2009 5:05 am

Whoa. Looks great! Are the large animations avis or sprites?
everything went smoothly here, loving the door transitions, gives a very solid feeling for the place.
I did manage to get out of a room and walk towards the camera though. At the pantry, towards the lower right.

A suggestion: when stepping through text, do it faster but have it take a bit longer on punctuation. That'll give it more rythm, like it was someone reading it.

Also: at first it wasn't clear to me that the weird look on the portrait meant I was near something of interest. Some less game-savvy people might take longer to figure it out. Maybe pop out a hint the first time it happens?
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 13, 2009 12:04 pm

All these are great suggestions and I will look into all of the bugs as best I can. I think the invalid texture bug may be a thing for construct not sure though. Every thing else seems pretty easy to fix Just need to find time to sit down and fix it up a bit. Thank you all for testing and anyone who hasn't yet feel free to keep posting things just try not to duplicate bugs that Have been posted already.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 13, 2009 3:03 pm

awesome game :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2009 5:59 pm

You said not to mention previously posted bugs, but i just want to add that the "out of boundry" bug deadeye mentioned is pretty bad. I've gotten it twice and had to quit the game to try again. It is a game breaker i must say. Should be at the top of your bugs list.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations