Hey, this has come a long way
. Looking good.
To the bugs:
- I somehow managed to get past the solid boundary for the pantry without triggering the exit, and I couldn't get back into the pantry proper in order to exit the room:
- Z sorting issues:
- The "Quit" option on the menu screen doesn't work, I have to Alt-F4 to exit.
- There doesn't appear to be any way to exit the Credits screen once the credits are over.
- If I Alt-Tab away from the program then return it crashes with an "Invalid texture referenced" message.
- The "Look at something" pic and message text often times don't reset when you walk away from the object of interest.
- The "what room this door goes to" text often shows the room you're currently in, rather than the room the door is going to.
I've also come across several spelling and grammar errors, I suppose I could write them all down if you want.
As for the game design itself, there are a couple of issues I have.
- When the girls are having a conversation at the beginning, perhaps you should have a shot of them facing each other and talking. Having Anna looking away towards the player the whole time is a bit odd.
Some of the events towards the beginning are a bit ambiguous.
- Why would Anna's father get fired? Is he the caretaker of the manor? Does he have the keys? If they don't know where to find the keys at the beginning then how did they get the keys between the conversation and the manor? Perhaps add a line of dialogue that's something along the lines of "Just because my father is the caretaker doesn't mean we have free run of the place."
- There is a loose board in the foyer, perhaps move that board to the place where the girls drop the key and make it more obvious that the key was dropped down the crack. Like, by saying "Oh crap, the key fell down the crack." "Nice going, dipshit." Or something like that
- When Anna pushes Bell it's not really apparent that it's an accident. It just sort of looks like she intentionally did it. Change up the dialogue a bit to reflect this fact, perhaps something like so:
Anna: You jerk, don't scare me like that!
*Anna looks down hole*
Anna: Oh my god! Bell, are you okay?
Bell: Yeah, I think so. Why did you push me?
Anna: I didn't mean, to, I'm so sorry...
Bell: Well, I think I'm stuck down here, you better come help me out...
Anna: Okay, I'm on my way. Hang on.
And every time after that Anna checks the dumbwaiter you get a message saying "I'd better hurry down there to help Bell..." or something like that.
- Anna herself looks a bit, er.. well, like she has a lazy eye. I never noticed it before. But now that I see it I can't stop staring at her freaky eye. I know it'd probably be a pain to fix, but you'd really only need to fix the "facing downwards" animations, as they're the only ones where you see her face full-on. She just needs her pupils centered and it'll be fine.
Anyway, I haven't gotten too far into it yet, I'll report back more later