Warping effect degenerates over time

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: click, coin, damage, fail, jump, level up,message, shot
  • Problem Description

Applying the warp effect to text causes the effect to degenerate over time with jerking movement as though it were low fps (fps is actually 60 and other objects move fine).

Only affects mobiles/tablets - effect starts off fine for about 2 1/2 minutes (ipad 4) then starts to degenerate, fps is constant 60.

Attach a Capx

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Description of Capx

Simple project with just one warping text object.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

Just run the capx and wait approx 2 1/2 minutes, http preview or final package.

Observed Result

Jerking text motion

Expected Result

No loss of motion quality - it's not a performance issue.

Affected Browsers

safari - ipad (ios8) chrome - android (lollypop) intel xdk - ipad, android

Operating System and Service Pack

ios & android

Construct 2 Version ID

195 64bit

Thanks =)

• Can't reproduce on a Nexus 7 or Nexus 9, both running Android 5. I think it depends on the precision of the hardware. What actual device models have you tested on?

• I'm using a Nexus 5, thanks for looking into it.

• I saw this happen with a project I was working on 6+ months ago running on an iPad 4 with CocoonJS. Eventually redid the effect using a sine wave behavior and a sprite font.

• Thanks for the suggestion cacotigon

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm also getting this on a simple block sprite I'm using to simulate water.

(title updated)

• I'm also getting this on a simple block sprite I'm using to simulate water.

(title updated)

This also happens on PC.

At least mine (win 8.1, Chrome)

Solution would be great or a fix in an upcoming update too! Ashley

Thanks!

P.S. my report -

• [quote:1o0x9f9k]

Can't reproduce on a Nexus 7 or Nexus 9, both running Android 5. I think it depends on the precision of the hardware. What actual device models have you tested on?

I can confirm this bug still exists and affects iPhone 6s and iPod Touch 5th Generation hardware.

It appears to be the precision of the 'seconds' variable in effects which use this variable that degrades.

If it helps, I timed the degradation. It becomes very visible within roughly 1 minutes and 20 seconds. Restarting or changing layouts doesn't help. It appears to be a time connected to the entire app's lifetime.

Considering this time variable 'seconds' is used in an effect which we can presume is likely going to be "looping", couldn't we reset the variable within a particular loop period to reset the precision?

• Another update actually... I just tested changing:

uniform mediump float seconds;
    [/code:3ur61nu7]
    to:

[code:3ur61nu7]uniform highp float seconds;
    [/code:3ur61nu7]
    And it appears to resolve the problem. I recommend moving over to highp for all your effects which use 'seconds'.
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)