Was loving C3 then. Reloading artwork - WORSE THAN C2??!?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Top Down Racing Game Pixel Artwork for any kind of racing game you can imagine.
  • I had this problem with C2.

I suggested a fix. https://www.scirra.com/forum/has-anyone-actually-used-this-seriously_t109509?&hilit=stuatk

It was fixed. A quick button to reload your images.

Now it seems 10 times WORSE.

C3 - Please tell me Im wrong!

The only way to update the images for an animation is to do the following:

click on your animation (lets say its a 6 frame walk).

you CANT select multiple frames!?! - so you have to delete each frame one by one.

right click - import frames from strip.

Navigate file system to find update image file.

click load.

NOW REPEAT FOR ALL YOUR CHARACTERS ANIMATIONS!!!!!! .. maybe 20 times!!!!

EVERY TIME YOU MAKE A CHANGE?????

I can't be right. Please tell me.

Construct does soooooo many thing so well and intuitively... then one of THE most FUNDAMENTAL things is totally disregarded ?????

I upgraded yesterday because I was loving it, I didn't check these simple things because I assumed they must be in place considering how nice it is (was) to use.... heart broken

So. Make sure your animations are 100% finished first time you import them, because updating them will make you want to weep.

dare I ask how updating other things work? - sounds for instance? Dare I look.

Tell me I missed something simple - please!

• Geez man, drama much? No need to freak out, it's just software

Unfortunately, if you don't use a project folder based file i guess that's the only way to update your animation as in every other game engine. I agree though, it'd be nice to actually select multiple frames at once but i'd guess they could implement that pretty easily. If you have the desktop version you can just replace your frames in your folder where they're stored but other than that i wouldn't know how to do it differently as it is the same in every animation software there is i.e.

Hope this helps.

• Try the desktop build, which also has an option to reload images. Hopefully this will help avoid the feeling that the world is ending.

• desktop version you say?

I have a mac.

How do you apply for a refund?

• [quote:2kc5coac]i wouldn't know how to do it differently as it is the same in every animation software there is i.e

No, it's not. In Flash for example you can select everything at once and update all images. And as far as I can remember it's always been like that.

• Guess you can't be right all the time, technically you can also do it in After Effects, my bad

• Yes it would be good if you could select multiple frames with ctrl, or shift, but if you're reimporting a strip you don't need to remove the old frames. When you import you can just click replace whole animation. All frames will be replaced for that animation.

It would be good if the animation bar had a right click option with "replace animation strip" or "replace animation files".

The only context menu options if you right click an animation now is. Duplicate, rename & preview. Clear animation option would also be good. Removing all the frames and setting first frame to blank. Some more context menu options would be good.

The sprite editor is not really a work of art in terms of usability and UX, and could use some love in future updates.

Nice feature that I like:

I'm mostly using single files, and for me it's really easy to just drag and drop multiple animation frames directly into the Animation bar, so only missing the option to clear the current animation first so it doesn't add the frames behind.

You know that C3 even detects if you're trying to drop a strip in to the animation editor? You get a dialoge that asks you if you want to replace the strip or inport files.

There's a lot of hidden gems in C3. But once you find them, and learn how to use it properly it's working fine.

• "When you import you can just click replace whole animation"

thanks tunepunk - I didn't see that check box, thats improves things a little

I agree, Construct does a lot of brilliant stuff, thats why it narks me so much when basic things are sometimes over looked....

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I usually do like this.

Here's a quick screen grab.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fohocc03ihwq ... .webm?dl=0

Just drag and drop the strip to your animation.

• When you have too many images to update, delete, whatever, it's easier to just create a new animation, then delete the old one, and give this new one old one's name

• Hopefully this will help avoid the feeling that the world is ending.

• Despite the tone of the original post that seems to have destabilized the audience, this is a real legitimate problem not to take too lightly dear gentlemen!

stuatk But, know that: if you are on Windows and now with first C3 desktop beta builds, you can (and indeed could already do it with C2), automate some things via NW.js object and other tricks to avoid you precisely this type of very repetitive tedious constraints.

That said, you will be quickly limited when it comes to loading complete animations (a rexrainbow C2 plugin allows -in part- to remedy this).

This method is especially true for one shot sprites, tilemaps, and any other assets up to the data. There are infinite hack possibilities.

The other good news is that with C3, all these points are likely to improve over time!

• Despite the tone of the original post that seems to have destabilized the audience, this is a real legitimate problem not to take too lightly dear gentlemen!

stuatk But, know that: if you are on Windows and now with first C3 desktop beta builds, you can (and indeed could already do it with C2), automate some things via NW.js object and other tricks to avoid you precisely this type of very repetitive tedious constraints.

That said, you will be quickly limited when it comes to loading complete animations (a rexrainbow C2 plugin allows -in part- to remedy this).

This method is especially true for one shot sprites, tilemaps, and any other assets up to the data. There are infinite hack possibilities.

The other good news is that with C3, all these points are likely to improve over time!

Thanks for the info - and agreeing with the problem.

I can't use the desktop version - I'm on a mac. I was considering writing a plugin to help with reloading stuff.. would be handy. I think if you're going to try and use C3 professionally you have to do a bit of coding. It does loads of great stuff really well, just a few things missing.

(my original tone was a bit off because I'd just bought the bleeding thing - again!)

• No problem stuatk, I can understand!

If at the moment you don't have access to the desktop version, it may indeed make the task more complicated. That said, there are always other tips to facilitate things. For example, you can install a local web server and load frames from it. Which also means that you can edit these reference files on the fly.

Here is a simple .c3p file in wich I load images located in a "test" folder.

I have added a "?unixtime" at the end of the urls to avoid cache issues.

https://dropbox.com/s/i2oyz4xqasuj1l4/test-load-localhost-image.zip

Just one more thing, the web server must agree to share its resources. For this it is possible to add the following line to its Apache configuration file (httpd.conf or its virtual version) and restart it ("headers_module" must be activated). It's a little technical sorry, but less complicated than it seems once in place.

<IfModule mod_headers.c>

Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *

</IfModule>

Someone or a bot has posted a strange message just after your answer and before mine, better avoid clicking on it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)