WebGL Effects change while scrolling

Report Construct 2 bugs here.

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 pm

i've "fixed" it a bit by reducing the Y-intensity, can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KajcXd6 ... GLlM6slAlg

however i would still prefer if the shaders would work how i expect them to
B
33
S
6
G
7
Posts: 339
Reputation: 7,426

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:34 pm

@Ize , It looks very nice! Bravo!
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
69
S
27
G
6
Posts: 1,146
Reputation: 10,379

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks :D
B
33
S
6
G
7
Posts: 339
Reputation: 7,426

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to bump an old thread without a solution, however, I've recently also run into this very issue.
Did anyone ever take a look at some of these shaders (such as warp or water)?
It would be greatly appreciated if any shader veteran out there could ascertain exactly what part of these calculations affect scrolling/zooming as well as a solution to the issue.

Thank you!
B
43
S
23
G
20
Posts: 155
Reputation: 13,502

Post » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:53 pm

@Ashley
"it's just running the shader in screen space instead of layout co-ordinates."

I am running into this problem each time i am creating a game with scrolling following the character.
There are so much great effects which could be applied if this was solved.
For instance: I wanted to create clouds using effects for a top down game, and the clouds look great.
But they are as u say in screen space which makes no sense to the player.
So now i cant use effects in such games.

At this state it is a real limitation to what we can do with effects.
Please have someone put effort into solving this.
I know u said it is not easy to solve this, but well... yeah, im never doubtfull in the skillset of scirra.

Kind regards.
Savvy001
B
59
S
21
G
14
Posts: 779
Reputation: 13,927

Post » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:17 pm

I remember this issue too :)

I don't even use effects because of this and because the effects run differently on different devices.

Effects has a great potential but needs to be fixed for sure :)
Positive, inspiring and jazzy games!

www.crystalgames.space

Enjoy!
B
17
S
8
G
3
Posts: 174
Reputation: 3,455

Post » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:45 pm

Anyone have a fix for this? I'm trying to use the hexagonalpixelate effect and it is change when scrolling. :(
B
47
S
22
G
65
Posts: 1,127
Reputation: 38,395

Post » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Prominent wrote:Anyone have a fix for this? I'm trying to use the hexagonalpixelate effect and it is change when scrolling. :(


The shaders still haven't been updated. More than 2 years later.
B
84
S
46
G
25
Posts: 530
Reputation: 21,570

Post » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:12 am

digitalsoapbox wrote:
Prominent wrote:Anyone have a fix for this? I'm trying to use the hexagonalpixelate effect and it is change when scrolling. :(


The shaders still haven't been updated. More than 2 years later.

As expected. And it won't be fixed. Ever. The same way 48273453 other C2 things won't.

Funny fact - it all worked flawlessly in Construct Classic, around 5-6 years ago. Then again, CC had DirectX behind his back. So a lot of "new" stuff to WebGL are old news in DirectX.

More on topic - I remember finding an actual solution to this Warp problem. But I also remember it was very user-unfriendly and CPU intense. So I dropped it. It had something to do with putting an extra Effect BEFORE the Warp. The effect was there with all param's zero'ed, just for the sake of "being the first before Warp". Sadly, I cannot remember which effect that was. I am not even sure if it was one of default or some custom made. So if you have a spare day or two for experimenting - you might want to follow that lead/direction.

PS: about this "thing", that it soo complicated to fix - to call it gently, that is not true. Go and browse user-made, distortion Effects. Most of them doesn't have this issue.
B
29
S
8
G
7
Posts: 643
Reputation: 6,482

Post » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:55 am

irbis wrote:
digitalsoapbox wrote:
Prominent wrote:Anyone have a fix for this? I'm trying to use the hexagonalpixelate effect and it is change when scrolling. :(


The shaders still haven't been updated. More than 2 years later.

As expected. And it won't be fixed. Ever. The same way 48273453 other C2 things won't.

Funny fact - it all worked flawlessly in Construct Classic, around 5-6 years ago. Then again, CC had DirectX behind his back. So a lot of "new" stuff to WebGL are old news in DirectX.

More on topic - I remember finding an actual solution to this Warp problem. But I also remember it was very user-unfriendly and CPU intense. So I dropped it. It had something to do with putting an extra Effect BEFORE the Warp. The effect was there with all param's zero'ed, just for the sake of "being the first before Warp". Sadly, I cannot remember which effect that was. I am not even sure if it was one of default or some custom made. So if you have a spare day or two for experimenting - you might want to follow that lead/direction.

PS: about this "thing", that it soo complicated to fix - to call it gently, that is not true. Go and browse user-made, distortion Effects. Most of them doesn't have this issue.


There was a point where they worked properly in C2 as well, then something undocumented changed. There was also a point where they ignored timescale, and then, at some undocumented point, they didn't...shortly after I sent a video of it occurring in-game to Scirra. I'm sure that was just a coincidence though...:)

Anyways, I think a lot of these issues get dropped because of a fundamental misunderstanding of what more advanced, or at the very least more informed, C2 users want and need (a separate issue from listening to what beginners with no experience think they want), even though such people can be the biggest cheerleaders. It is what it is. There's a reason those who release bigger games end up moving on after using C2 for one, unfortunately. I think we'd all rather use an event-type system similar to what C2 uses over C#, but we're not developing the software, so.....yeah. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
B
84
S
46
G
25
Posts: 530
Reputation: 21,570

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests