WebSocket plugin and Multiplayer Games

For developers using the Construct 2 Javascript SDK

Post » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Mozilla Launches Online Game Using HTML5, WebSockets
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mozilla-WebSocket-HTML5-BrowserQuest-MMOG,15136.html
B
S

Post » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:17 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] TCP is the problem. By hanging I mean all transmission was held up, so remote players stopped moving. It's the OS waiting for a dropped packet to be retransmitted.

WebRTC supports DataChannels, allowing arbitrary data (not just media) to be transmitted, and can use a UDP-based transport as well.[/QUOTE]

I've just got to say that this seems like a problem on the app development side. Asynchronous communication has been all the rage for over a decade. If you do not receive something, you'll still get the next thing. There is no hang up waiting for something to come in.

WebSockets use event handlers for incoming messages. The app doesn't wait for a message. It just processes it when it comes in. That means your app can handle lossy transmission; even though TCP is reliable, which is also what you want in a game. I don't even know how it would know that a message from another player was coming. So I don't see how, even if you tried to design it to get stuck, it could know when it was supposed to get stuck.

The sticker is transmission time over the Internet, and that can't be controlled by the transmission protocol.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:05 am

Ashley wrote:TCP is the problem. By hanging I mean all transmission was held up, so remote players stopped moving. It's the OS waiting for a dropped packet to be retransmitted.

WebRTC supports DataChannels, allowing arbitrary data (not just media) to be transmitted, and can use a UDP-based transport as well.

This is true, but keep in mind WebRTC is P2P and would open the door to hackers if used w/o an authoritarian server :)
B

Previous

Return to Javascript SDK