Weighted probabilities

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • Hi everybody,

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to create a set of weighted probabilities easily in the event code. Let me outline what I have:

if(EntityA is overlapping Trigger)

Set EntityA.ExecuteSub = true; // this is so EntityA only runs the overlap code a single time.

System.Create(EntityA)

Set EntityA Animation (Choose("Animation1", "Animation2", etc))

Set EntityA size

Set EntityA Position

Set EntityA localvar1

Set EntityA localvar2

Set EntityA localvar3

Set EntityA localvar4

Set EntityA Speed

{ ... more instructions involving EntityA }

I have ten different animations in Entity A and it randomly selects one each time. However, now I want to weight the probability so certain animations are more likely to appear than others.

I planned on setting a global variable called RandomNumber, and than basically being like:

if(RandomNumber < 10) Choose (EntityA.Animation1)

else if(RandomNumber < 25) Choose (EntityA.Animation2)

else if(RandomNumber < 30) Choose (EntityA.Animation3)

I have a feeling I'm going to have to create a new global boolean variable called RandomNumberMatched and then:

0. Check primary condition overlapping

1. Generate random number

2. Spawn EntityA - and hope that the following subevents automatically refers to this one

3. Write a bunch of Subevents under the primary event checking the Random number value as follows:

Sub event:

if (RandomNumber < 10)

RandomNumberMatched = true

EntityA.SetAnimation( EntityA.Animation1 )

if (RandomNumber < 25)

EntityA.SetAnimation( EntityA.Animation2 )

if (RandomNumber < 30)

EntityA.SetAnimation( EntityA.Animation3 )

4. Rerun the rest of the set size,position,etc etc on this EntityA *AFTER* the subevent code has finished I guess putting the entirety of this code in a blank sub-event on the primary event.

Without an if-elseif-else condition I have to use an additional variable to falsify the following subevents.

I really hope there's a more modular way to encapsulate what would ordinarily be a fairly and I would think common thing to do in conventional OO coding.

I wish I could just write a function

GetWeightedString( ProbabilityArray, StringArray )

which takes a list of numbers up to 100 returns the respective String in the array, and then I could just call a simple function that would Spawn based on the Object's name.

Something like this:

Spawn randomentity = GetWeightedString(new Array[2, 4, 8, 20, 25, 60, 80, 100], new String[EntityA, EntityB, EntityC, EntityD, EntityE, EntityF, EntityG, EntityH])

Thanks everybody for your assistance!

-- cacotigon

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I found this site which has a fairly simple approch to doing weighted random.

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2010/01/22/weighted-random-generation-in-python/

and implemented in c2:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5426011/examples%208/weighted_random.capx

It can be made into a function fairly easily by using the "function plugin".

• Hey R0J0hound, thanks for the link. I went ahead and implemented that in my code. Works great!

• just wanted you to know, this capx by R0J0hound:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5426011/examples%208/weighted_random.capx

saved me a lot lot lot of time.

• Thank you so much for posting the CapX.

I'm linking to a tweaked version that I did - mind you i suck at programming - but I wanted to share what I tweaked (basically to use in a function) - in case it helped someone else...

Thanks

docs.google.com/file/d/0BzelBqNJ0DazS0JBZ2UwdHktZEE/edit

• I tried the capx file but it always seems to return the last of the values when I run the layout.

Is there something wrong with the code?

• I mad a tweaked version too and build a small use case example for it.

weightedPropability.capx

• WOW!!!

Thank you soooo much and R0J0hound

I was about to code my own weighted RNG from scratch. You two just saved me a lot of hours!!!

+1

Thumbs Up!

Like!

Vote Up!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)