Welcome to the Construct 2 public preview

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, there's little point in arguing over the matter.
You're just as likely to convince me that it's a good decision as I am in convincing you that it's not a good decision.

I'll pop in from time to time to see whether Construct 2 has exe export out of the box.

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:25 pm

[quote="KrushBrother":26u5rfwd]Well, there's little point in arguing over the matter.
You're just as likely to convince me that it's a good decision as I am in convincing you that it's not a good decision.

I'll pop in from time to time to see whether Construct 2 has exe export out of the box.[/quote:26u5rfwd]

Oh I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I won't really have much need for C2 until it can export to desktop runtimes either. I'm just saying that there's a whole lot of people out there who will be thrilled by it, what with Flash, Flixl, Flashpunk, Unity, and Yoyo Games being so popular. (Notice I didn't mention Silverlight, hehe-OH CRAP I JUST MENTIONED IT :x )
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Although, I would love to see an .exe exporter very soon I think some people are forgetting some stuff about the .9x version of Construct.

1. Just about all of the non-gamers I gave Construct made games to..had to download the Directx runtime..a massive 100MB download. So Construct wasn't as simple as just giving somebody an .exe. And downloading and installing Chrome is smaller than the DirectX runtime. Of course, there needs to be a .exe exporter and I'm curious how difficult that will be.
2. HTML5 games can be pretty awesome.. [url:284on8xv]http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/[/url:284on8xv] and [url:284on8xv]https://gaming.mozillalabs.com/games/133/far-7[/url:284on8xv]
3. IE9 is fully hardware acclerated for HTML5 so games can be pretty fast. Chrome performance is close as well.

I am a bit sad that my beloved Python is gone...but I guess this gives me a chance to learn a new language. It's funny I had been looking at engines like impact http://impactjs.com/ so it would be nice if this could play on all of the platforms like impact with the HTML5 export.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:00 pm

I'd like to throw my $0.2 in the HTML5 discussion as well. I think it's great. Don't get me wrong, I'd like an exe exporter too, and I'm pretty sure there will be one so I'm not fretting about it. C2 is still in an early stage and we should expect to not see a particular feature we want right now, not the other way around.

The way I see it, going for HTML5 opens up for a lot of cool new things we can do. Like network code for instance, which as far as I can tell was a real hassle on 0.X. With HTML5 and Javascript at its core such things will (probably) become much less of a hassle (though network coding is never easy)

[quote="tulamide":30u8ync5]Let's face it, HTML5 might be the architecture of first choice in 5 years - but I need something I can work with now...[/quote:30u8ync5]
Then use a program that is not in such an early stage. It's just that simple. 0.X didn't somehow just disappear just because we're trying out an early build of C2.

I remember seeing the link to this game here on the forums a pretty long time ago.
http://playbiolab.com/
Edit: saw just now that scidave linked to that engine right above my post.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm pretty sure there'll be an EXE exporter down the line. By that time, HTML5 will be handy 'cause you can do a demo of your full price game and people can play it BEFORE downloading it. Also, you can get sponsorship deals by having a browser game. It's step in the right direction for sure.

My gripe atm is the way the event sheet is done. Not keen on the "system | on start of layout" and "sprite | is onscreen" kinda layout. I definitely prefer the old way as it was easier to read. Maybe it's just me...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 pm

I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to support PSDs? Like if you import a PSd, if imports each layer into separate frames.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:29 pm

You must admit that even in its current state C2 is already pretty good. Far more than was expected. I guess you could say it's first in class.

I will say I wasn't jumping for joy for the html exporter, but given the nature of development of game making software, and how web apps are usually not very big projects, it does make a lot of sense. After all there really aren't any big projects for Construct "Zero", but lots, and lots of small ones.

Not that a exe isn't a necessity. I'm assuming html editors will be as external level editors were to Construct. :P
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Can't believe there's a Construct 2 in development! I love Construct and I can't wait for the second one to be finished!!
B
G

Post » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 pm

I would have thought an .exe would have been as standard (as that's far and away the most common) with other export options to follow. At the moment, I'll wait for the exe export option.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 am

Hi! I was interested to discover this Construct 2 thing. I do C++ game development and I'm interested in tools that allow people to create cross platform games. (I have a cross platform PC+mac+linux+iphone toolset for C++ programmers, the most recent version of which is here.) I'm also curious about tools like GameMaker/Construct because, although they are not what I would prefer to use myself, I am interested in being able to collaborate with people who are more comfortable with these kinds of tools. I would someday like to have the option of making a game engine in C++ but still be able to integrate with game components designed by someone else in a GameMaker-like tool. So the idea of an open source GameMaker-alike is extremely attractive to me because it seems to make that possible.

I poked at the Construct 2 Alpha and downloaded the source. It seems to have a good bit of progress already. I had a few questions.

- I notice this list of "exporters", of which the only one so far is HTML5. Do I take this to mean that one could in theory create "exporters" to other platforms like Flash or exe? Is creating a new exporter a lot of work, the way the exporters work right now?

- I notice the event handlers use a menu-based / "drag and drop programming" paradigm, like early versions of Flash or something. Is there an option to replace the drag and drop with a more conventional scripting language? How easy do you suppose it might be to retrofit such a thing in?

- Are you interested in help porting to other platforms such as mac/linux, or creating exporters for iPhone or whatever?

- I notice the game is "pay what you want". What license is the source code distributed under? I did not find a license file in svn.

Thanks!
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General