Welcome to the Construct 2 public preview

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Ashley: OK, that sounds good. Thanks :)

[quote="Mipey":ccvfzvcz]You can't build a skyscraper without tearing the old house and its foundations apart.[/quote:ccvfzvcz]
But what if you attach thousands of balloons to the old house, detaching it from its old location and lifting it safely to South America to fulfill a childhood dream?!
B
G

Post » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:03 am

[quote:1cwc865q]But what if you attach thousands of balloons to the old house, detaching it from its old location and lifting it safely to South America to fulfill a childhood dream?![/quote:1cwc865q]

Oh wow you could make a game out of that, no wait, a movie!
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:58 am

[quote="kwarn":2p6y6fb3]@ Ash :
i am not affraid. I understand your point of vue Ash. I am not a user. No project. So, your v13.0 doesn't exist. It is not important for me. I hope you will have a 1.0 with C2 this time and say not after spending your time after 2 years : "i had choose the bad way... sorry , but there is C3".
For a developper, it is just ridiculous for a second time...
I hope you finish C2 anyway.[/quote:2p6y6fb3]

Ash was not calling you afraid.

[quote="Ashley":2p6y6fb3] I don't really have anything to add on top of that, I'm afraid.[/quote:2p6y6fb3]
The " I'm afraid " part at the end of the sentence is a polite expressions.
I'm afraid assumes that there will be sorrow after... whatever statement is about to be spoken/written.I'm afraid assumes there will be an emotional response from the other person/persons listening or reading. The phrase almost prepares the listener for what is about to be said or cautions the listener that you are indeed afraid of their response when it's said at the end of the sentence.
Now with that out of the way.

kwarn you do have a valid point their but, your looking at it from a user point of view.
I am going to try and break it down for you as a programmer.
They use construct 0.x to build their skill and knowledge.
construct have hundreds maybe even thousands of lines of code that they written when they started programming . They work up to this point building upon the old inefficient code.
this leads to problems and bugs. So they went through the codes again to patch up the problems and bugs but, more problems and bugs pop up and this continues for many new builds of construct 0.x to the current one to day.
At some point you realize that the old code is holding you back.
So, what do you do?

1: Do you continues for many more builds with the old code that is holding you back.
or
2: Do you start from scratch with the skill and knowledge gained from construct 0.x.

you may say 1 but I think they picked the right answer.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:38 am

I have to agree with toralord. The correct choice was definitely made by the developers. The same choice has been made countless times before by many others as well, as it is the logical one.

Besides, how can anyone feel indignant that the developers move on from a project that they gave away? It's still there to use, for free. If anyone started working on a major project using a product that was somewhere in the alpha to beta release stages, then they should expect to have to start over at some point just because of that, really. Consider it a learning experience, and you'll come away with a better product.

Anyway, I think this move is the right one on many points. I can't say that I'm thrilled about the HTML5 at this point, or the apparent lack of proper scripting, but I'll be interested to see where this goes.

I do hope that variables come with much more robustness than the previous version. That was one thing that made me prefer Python over Events in the previous version. Some sort of data collection, like classes or structs, is needed. Ability to create new instances of them at run-time is a must. And functions need to have more elegant argument passing, as well as local variables. THESE THINGS ARE IMPERATIVE! AGREE! ;)

I'm already impressed with what is here currently, though. I wish this project well.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 am

I am excited about the potential of Construct 2, though I probably won't try to do anything serious with it until it gets Windows/OSX/Linux exporting and pixel shader support to go with it (because pixel shaders are amazing and absolutely vital to the development of the projects I'm working on). In other words, as long as the capability of having multiple exporters doesn't hinder the possibilities of individual exporters and everything doesn't always have to adhere to the lowest common denominator, I'm game.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:57 am

Thx toralord to explain to me the"i'm affraid". Like you see my english is very poor! sorry for that.
B
G

Post » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 am

Construct2( I like this better=P) appears it will be better than Construct1. However, I'll wait till it catches up with Construct1's current level.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:48 pm

[quote="Azu":36zqwjli]Construct2( I like this better=P) appears it will be better than Construct1. However, I'll wait till it catches up with Construct1's current level.[/quote:36zqwjli]

x2, i am exciting about the potential of C2, but i won start any serious project until reach C1 level
B
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Not that I don't support it, but this "Pay-what-you-want" thing, with no limits and an option to use the software free, seems a whole lot like donations with more initiative. :P

-David
B
G

Post » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:28 am

Couple of my observations. I've got latest FF but both games ( especialy shooter) ware lagging as hell, though i know my specs are quite dated ( centrino duo core 1.66, 2gb, gforce 7300 256mb) . plus the game window was slightly bigger than my FF display window, so when i was pressing arrow keys i was activating scroll bar.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General