Welcome to the education forum

For educators around the world who use Construct 2 in classrooms

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 pm

I teach 3D animation & rigging for games at George Brown college in Toronto. I introduced Construct 2 to my students for one of their assignments, and most of them loved it from the start. It's a really great way to get ideas up and running.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi !

The book will be in Brazilian Portuguese, but I can talk with my publisher for an International version in English...
"keep calm we have giant robots!"
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi, I'm glad to see finally there is a place for tutors using C2 as a teaching tool!
greatings from Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice, Poland - from Animation and Interaction class at Graphic Design branch.
We started initial task on aplying character design and animation to simple games made with C2 - it's a really fun!
B

Post » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:17 am

From Brasil here too o/

I use construct to teach some basic game concepts in workshops and things like that. I doing my master degree in game design and work in a game company being creative director, this way I have some invites to try to spread the game concept to so many people around the city and some close cities.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:55 pm

I use Construct 2 extensively with my students studying 2D Game Development in Western Australia.

We have a Moodle course setup which consists of 20 weeks. Throughout the course the students create the following:

1. The Ghostshooter tutorial by Scirra
2. A Water Rescue game tutorial (created by me)
3. Save the Monkeys tutorial (copy uploaded to this site)
4. The Jungle Platformer tutorial by Scirra
5. Making and Animating own sprites tutorial (created by me)
6. The students then work on their first assessment - a platformer based on 4. above, using their own backgrounds, sprites, music and adding/changing some of the functionality
7. Creating a Physics based game and exporting to an Android phone (a youtube tutorial)
8. The Monkey Jump tutorial (copy uploaded to this site)
9. A game tutorial covering particle effects (created by me)
10. Students then work on a second assessment which uses physics as a basis for their game

This all works very well and the students enjoy using Construct 2. We had previously used Gamemaker in the past, but Construct 2 is much better in my opinion.

The only problem I found was ensuring that the students download (at home) and use the same version that is set up in the computer labs at the college to ensure that their games work at both locations. It is difficult to get our IS department to update the software in the computer labs as often as a new version becomes available.

Other than that, fabulous software!!
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 am

Hi, I'm a part time teacher at the Hobart Polytechnic (in Oz ). I mostly teach web development (HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, MySQL), but do a little intro to programming stuff too. I'd love to introduce Construct 2 to my courses. I know my students would take to it, and they'd learn a lot too... I've just got to figure out how to fit it into our curriculum. Fortunately for me, the subject descriptions that I'm given to teach to are delightfully vague. For example: Create dynamic web pages could use just about anything that displays a generated page, including a web based Construct 2 game    
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey Mazzran,
Is it possible you would be interested in sharing the contents of the Moodle - perhaps zipped. I'm hoping you may have them in Word or PDF docs that can be edited. I want to start a course for upper primary students in our local feeder primary schools (I'm on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland incidentally).

I was hoping to get some existing tutorials, edit them up for the primary aged, then repost on here for others to then use.

Thanks

Graeme
B

Post » Wed May 08, 2013 3:12 am

Hi Graham

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to give out the tutorials etc that I have created for the students attending our college. But you could follow a similar plan to what I have listed above if that would help. You can find quite a lot of complete tutorials on this site and also some on youtube.

Hope this helps!
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Its great to see so many people using Construct 2 in the classroom!

I am a high school physics teacher in Illinois, USA. Until a few weeks ago when we discovered Construct 2, we had been using GameSalad as a modeling and simulation tool, which worked really well for our second-year physics students. A week and a half ago I gave Construct 2 to those students and tasked them with building a useful simulation for our iPad-based classes similar to those available at phet.colorado.edu. I will post the results of the challenge later this week.

I am curious to see lesson plans. In particular I am looking to use Construct 2 in two ways:
1. As a creative tool (e.g. create a short game to demonstrate an idea)
2. As a modeling and simulation tool (e.g. create a system of planets, modify the rules of gravity and see what happens)

My pipe dream is to use Construct 2 to develop a physics simulation creation tool that is simple enough for 10-year-olds with low math skills to use but is powerful enough to teach physics modeling to high school students. Maybe next summer. :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I have been using Construct-2 to teach Chemistry and Physics to my 12-year old godson over the internet.

Without Construct2 I would not have dared to teach him about the following subject: Sun's Nucleosynthesis

Here is a YouTube video explaining the using my Construct2 program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZbBNmwccw

The simulation is here
http://olympicstudio.org/sims/sun_H_He_nucleosynthesis/

You might say: That is too much for a 12-year old, but he is fluent in English and Chinese. A person who can learn such complicated languages should have no problem acquiring the vocabulary of Chemistry. (Chemistry as a second language).

Please let me know what you think?
Eckart Mildenstein

B

PreviousNext

Return to Education and Construct 2