WeWantOgg.com!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi everyone!

We've released a new small campaign website:

WeWantOgg.com

For reference on the problems with HTML5 audio, see:

http://www.scirra.com/blog/46/more-on-html5-audio-codecs-and-politics

We appreciate any support we get, hopefully we can get IE and Safari to support Ogg Vorbis which would be a huge benefit to all of us!Tom2011-08-01 17:38:56
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm

As many of you know, the audio situation in HTML5 is pretty bad, and it's making life unnecessarily difficult for us at Scirra. If you could spread the word, that would be great! It might be a long shot, but hopefully we can catch the attention of Apple and Microsoft if lots of people get involved. Spread the link!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Totally agree, we need that. (also would be great if there was one video format).
What if I'll make a Czech translation of the page (and I believe, there are users who'd translate it into other languages). Would it be possible to switch the language automatically according to the ip of a viewer? I you're ok, I could send you the translation tomorrow.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:06 pm

[QUOTE=Noga]What if I'll make a Czech translation of the page (and I believe, there are users who'd translate it into other languages). Would it be possible to switch the language automatically according to the ip of a viewer? I you're ok, I could send you the translation tomorrow. [/QUOTE]

Good idea. And if not switching, at least proposing little flag buttons to access the proper language (I love little flags buttons on webpages ^^)
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Kyatric has been great giving us a French translations, all translations are very welcome!   Noga feel free to PM me a translation any time if you have the time to do so.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 pm

I've just uploaded some images on the campaign site people are free to use on their websites.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Good idea, these browser politics are getting ridiculous. Though I have to mention again, why go for OGG when WebM is same audio codec and is more likely to be productive. E.g. it already enjoys special support in IE9 that OGG still doesn't have, in the form of recognizing WebM MIME in the <audio> and <video> tag and playing it through plugin, whereas an OGG plugin has not been approved and MIME for OGG are not treated with similar regard.

The point is that it might be an easier battle to support WebM since you have google in your corner.   
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 pm

@Juryiel, I actually think going for WebM might make it tougher. Microsoft and Apple probably don't want to be seen to endorse anything Google comes up with, but Ogg is more or less totally neutral. WebM still stores Vorbis audio as well, so one probably comes with the other. Also, Ogg has been around for 10 years now and WebM just over one year - tools, existing libraries, and general support for Ogg is probably better as a result. Anyways, it doesn't really matter, Ogg is fine so we're all in for that.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Microsoft willingly added WebM MIME type support in IE9, but has not done so for OGG, that was my point, that they are already partially supporting WebM. I don't think they'll ever support OGG but google may pressure them into WebM by leveraging its giant web presence, as they seem to have already done somewhat. So what I mean is it actually isn't the case that one will come with the other. It's not just an issue of supporting Codecs. IE9 <audio> tag can use any codecs installed in Windows 7 for example but you'll notice that if you install Vorbis codec you still can't play OGG because IE9 will never support that MIME type in the HTML5 tags. Xiph doesn't have the leverage to make them.

WebM has also been around for a while as it is a derivative of the Matroska container.

In any case I think the two players here will be WebM and AAC. Everyone else is backed by someone way too small.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Hmm. Well, if our campaign persuades them to use WebM-contained Vorbis, that's a win for us anyway.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic