What are construct 2 limits?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 am

@BurningWood, @Kyatric said enough. All the files above are plugin and play for a standard Construct 2 license.

I'm not a programmer, just a hobbyist, and did many amazing things using C2, to learn more and expand my own limitations inside C2.

The next goal is make a commercial game, what is in advanced design and development, but before, I did my lesson doing from platform games to race and spaceshot games, dealing with many situations where a standard games maybe barely touch.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 am

@ All, thank you so much...

@ Rosareven, This fantastic answer and confirm some of my beliefs. However, "preference" may not cover peoples frustration when they feel they hit a wall.

"Some people may have particular ways of designing their games, be it prior knowledge from other engines or programming language, and suddenly they can't use the exact same practices C2 is designed for. That's more of a preference problem rather than limitation. People who came from programming background may also find the graphical program logic interface (aka the event editor) a bit weird and prefer typing them out instead of visually arranging the logic."

@Kyatric, since I have to wait until December to get my PC back, I'll check out the tutorials and still study javascript because I want to pick up some extra work as a coder.

@TELLES0808, all professions were hobbies once.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:59 pm

While this is certainly an interesting discussion, the main question has not been answered at all. What are the limitations of C2? Not from an imagination perspective, or even a capability perspective. What are the limitations on number of objects, number of animations in a sprite, number of sprites overall.

For example, in the resulting javascript code, there are things declared such as:

var MAX_VERTICES = 8000;                              // equates to 2500 objects being drawn
var MAX_INDICES = (MAX_VERTICES / 2) * 3; // 6 indices for every 4 vertices
var MAX_POINTS = 8000;

These hint at some kind of limitation as it relates to objects/vertices.

So to rephrase the question: What are the limitations of C2 as an HTML5 game versus a Windows EXE? Or are they the same?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:45 pm

While that would suggest a limit, there isn't one. I did a test and C2 is able to draw 40,000 objects at once, way more than 2,500. It can likely do many more. The only limit being the speed at which they are drawn, which is caused by cpu and gpu speed.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:55 pm

@wizaerd - in one of scirra's blogs they tested c2 and got about 150,000 instances on screen, and they could have had more, but they were checking how many they could have on screen at 30 fps: https://www.scirra.com/blog/102/html5-games-faster-than-native
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 pm

@wizaerd - most parts of the engine do not have fixed limits. Nothing you mentioned (number of objects, number of sprite animations, number of sprites) have any fixed limit - you can keep going until you run out of memory.

The code snippets you posted refer to particular details of the WebGL renderer. It renders objects in batches for efficiency, and that code simply means it will draw a maximum of about 2500 objects per batch. If you have over 2500 objects, it will just send multiple batches per frame and keep going just fine.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks all for the replys... here's another concern with limitations that I found...

Porting Limitations?

Re:
@MadFactory>C2 can't really export to OUYA right now.

*Me>I was under the impression since C2 can be placed on the Andriod OS, and that OUYA runs on Andriod that it could be ported to OUYA?

From: http://www.scirra.com/forum/topic74408_post445671.html#445671View Original
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic