What are the limitations of importing many music files?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:56 pm

@Ashley - I am about to build a karaoke app. But before I begin, I would like to get a better appreciation of how the imported sound files work during performance. I understand that files imported to the music folder are streamed while those imported to the sound folder are preloaded etc. My main concern is regarding the size of the project. I am sure if I import over 1000 music files, the project will be very big in size. Since all of the songs for this karaoke app will be stored in the music folder would this affect the performance of the user's device?
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Generally, audio has no impact on the framerate, if that's what you mean.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Emac wrote:@Ashley - I am about to build a karaoke app. But before I begin, I would like to get a better appreciation of how the imported sound files work during performance. I understand that files imported to the music folder are streamed while those imported to the sound folder are preloaded etc. My main concern is regarding the size of the project. I am sure if I import over 1000 music files, the project will be very big in size. Since all of the songs for this karaoke app will be stored in the music folder would this affect the performance of the user's device?

If you're only playing a single music track at a time, it should work everywhere. If you get into trying to play multiple long sound clips (not streaming audio) at once, at least on mobile, audio sync breaks down quickly over time and you'll start hearing a lot of audio glitches and skipping.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 am

@digitalsoapbox @Ashley Thank you!
B
S

Return to Construct 2 General