What Construct can't do (yet)

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:07 am

[quote="scidave":1xax1g7m][quote="Dataflashsabot":1xax1g7m]ONLINE GAMES: As it happens, I'm currently working on a plugin for this[/quote:1xax1g7m]

btw.. this is really awesome Dataflashbot. Any status on how it's coming along? What networking library did you decide to go with? This will be a huge plus when it comes out!!![/quote:1xax1g7m]
I'm using Boost.asio, and I don't really want to give status updates for fear of dissapointing if I give up. Thanks for the interest though! :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 am

[u:2057amyc]Online:[/u:2057amyc] This is something that is indeed needed at some-point.
[u:2057amyc]3D:[/u:2057amyc] I don't think much more is needed than what is already there. Perhaps more primitives for the 3D Box but really, Construct is supposed to be a 2D program, so loading fully animated models should be saved for a Construct 2. I do hope mesh distortion is continually supported however, as that has many practical uses in 2D.
[u:2057amyc]Export:[/u:2057amyc] I can understand a Mac export feature, but I don't really think it's a huge factor. Macs are generally used for creative purposes and not gaming, despite some changes over the years to make that aspect easier.
[u:2057amyc]Gamepad:[/u:2057amyc] This is more of a novelty I think. Most people don't use a gamepad, despite what you might like to believe. Perhaps down the road?

My 4 cents.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:55 pm

[quote="6Fix":2zq31rg1]Gamepad:[/b][/u] This is more of a novelty I think. Most people don't use a gamepad, despite what you might like to believe. Perhaps down the road?[/quote:2zq31rg1]Might be true, but for some game types its 100% needed. Playing street fighter on keyboard is usually considered unappealing by the fighting game community. Everyone likes to use their own equipment and have options. What's the use of having a Joypad when your favorite games don't support it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:16 pm

Well, you make it sound like I said it shouldn't be added ... I said perhaps down the road? I just don't believe it needs to be near the top of list.

Also, a vast majority of people who use gamepad right now, actually do use a 360 gamepad. A windows specific version was even released by Microsoft.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:35 pm

@ 6Fix.

Construct 2 is going to be for 2D too. Your reason isn't really a good reason because the same reasoning applies to C2 as well. The main issue is that C1 wasn't made well enough to support the addition of 3D. It keeps breaking as the devs change things between versions. Supposedly C2 will have all these things done right.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:48 pm

My reasoning is every bit as good as any in this thread. That is to say, it's an opinion. It is a fact however, that gamepads are not widely used on PC's.

Please re-read what I said about 3D. It pretty well fits with what you said... so I think maybe you misinterpreted it. I think if anything is added it should be saved for a Construct 2 for the primary reason you listed, and that doesn't mean I think Construct 2 should be a full-3D product either.

So again, not sure really what you are referring to because it seems like we're on the same page.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:14 am

[quote="6Fix":1l6158jc]Also, a vast majority of people who use gamepad right now, actually do use a 360 gamepad. A windows specific version was even released by Microsoft.[/quote:1l6158jc]No. They use whatever cheap version they find at the computer shop or their old gamepad from 5 years ago. Well actually both Playstation and Xbox styles are pretty popular. Anyway, I was merely pointing out that gamepads are very important to some gamers, some are adamant on using arcade style gamepad with the big buttons even. I never said I think it should be a high priority; however, I think that's entirely up to the game created and its audience because some will definitely tell you it is.

Since people can buy the 360 controller its not really big issue to me, but that's weird to force people to use that specific control and many will whine and probably give your game a 0 rating for it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:34 am

I've said before that besides all the sparkly effects we can do with our sprites, Construct needs to make sure that both Sound and Joystick support need to be finished before version 1.0 if it's to be taken seriously.

Joystick support can be provided via Python but I think it should be included as a standard part of Construct.

This is not a rhetorical question, it's genuine:
How many game creators don't have joystick support?

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 am

@ 6fix - I must have misunderstood you then. I thought you meant that as though C2 is supposed to not be meant as mainly a 2D program. Sorry about that. At least what I said hopefully shows the technical difficulties for those who still want C1 to have more 3D support.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:55 am

[quote="manontherun":2crb3llw]No. They use whatever cheap version they find at the computer shop or their old gamepad from 5 years ago.[/quote:2crb3llw]

Perhaps but I've seen statistics from 2009 that suggests otherwise. It doesn't matter though, I am not saying there shouldn't be support for them ... it's a matter of priority. There are plenty of things that should be improved or added first, or at least the plugin should be handled by someone externally so that Ashley/David can focus on bigger things!

On a side note, I am going to say nothing of joysticks :lol:

[quote="Mr Wolf":2crb3llw]@ 6fix - I must have misunderstood you then. I thought you meant that as though C2 is supposed to not be meant as mainly a 2D program. Sorry about that. [/quote:2crb3llw]

No problem! Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I don't even want a fully 3D construct. I hope we never lose 2D, on any platform.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion