What controls can I expect the players to have access to?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:25 am

In my opinion the more users you support, the more ppl will play your game, so the simplestt and best solution will probably be support all 3 control methods, optionally you could let players choose their preffered control input method.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:34 pm

But again, how is that possible without making the game suffer? It's like playing a first-person shooter with just a keyboard. It's technically doable, but not exactly recommended. So why should we require all C2-games to be playable with just a keyboard? And for that matter, what if we don't target PCs at all? Android is supported, and it's easy (and cheap) to get a working gamepad for an Android-tablet. I have one for my iPad, and it (should) work on Android, too. And lat I checked, tablets don't have keyboards at all. ;)
B
S

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Constructinator wrote:But again, how is that possible without making the game suffer? It's like playing a first-person shooter with just a keyboard. It's technically doable, but not exactly recommended. So why should we require all C2-games to be playable with just a keyboard? And for that matter, what if we don't target PCs at all? Android is supported, and it's easy (and cheap) to get a working gamepad for an Android-tablet. I have one for my iPad, and it (should) work on Android, too. And lat I checked, tablets don't have keyboards at all. ;)

We were implying that you were more into supporting multiplatform I think, with the most possible things (since this is something that most devellopers try to think about), if you really want to support only gamepad, you could, just make sure that there isn't problems (I don't think every gamepad is reacting the same way), and that the player knows it.

At the end, try ans test, so you know what to expect.

Also for your FPS comparison, I know people that will enjoy FPs with a Keyboard+mouse, but will don't even bother try with controllers (and I know that they think like that too for other genres), it is also possible to have a keyboard on an android device too, so at the end, the question is more on "do you have time to implement it well?" more than "is it better for the game?"
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Requiring two controllers sounds awkward and even future limits your audience.
Maybe you could synchronize the movement of the platforms... then one controller would be feasible - and would make the keyboard a more viable alternative as well.

The best way to find out is test out a variety of game mechanics and get feedback from real players before you get too far. Adding keyboard support really shouldn't affect performance at all.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General