What determines my game is good or not?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • How do I determine my game is good enough to sell or is it only good for showcase?

Thank You.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sales figures/

• hello gamecorpstudio,

I think that is the answer I was looking for. Now I have a little more understanding about when to sell my game.

Thank You.

• well to get sales figures, you need to sell it in first place, however in order to get some feedback before selling it its probably best to release a showcase limited edition of it. AKA free version and see peoples response. if it gets attention then publish it to stores. if not... improve it. redo the first step.

• Sales have nothing to do with whether a game is good in my opinion and many great games are released for free and get lots more playtime.

People buy games like candy these days and play them once and toss them in the used game bin looking for their next fix.

I base my games success on comments I get from players and if they return to play over and over and you can determine that in an arcade where you can see number of plays and how many times they retry to get a higher score on the leader board or get that next achievement badge.

If you get a game showing good numbers in the arcade then you should focus on that game making updates and improvements and develop a following for the game.

• Very, very hard to determine these days.

First of all you have to understand that Games Journalism these days consists of companies making deals with various reviewers (IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot...) to give them a free review copy and an embargo date (this is the date when sites are allowed to post reviews before launch). A game company being disappointed with a site's review of a previous game would result in strained relationship between the two parties. There was a guy that got fired from his job because he gave an honest review of the game Kane and Lynch. Source (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-w ... -29097920/)

Because of this sites are forced to suck developers' ------- before the launch of a game or else they wouldn't be able to put out a review and would lose site traffic on launch day. So even if a game is bad and riddled with bugs, there's a good chance sites would still give them 10/10 reviews.

Now for mobile I don't know the exact parameters.

I mean you could create Earwax and Snot and Undigested-Peas-and-Corn Kernel-clasts in-a-Turd versions of Candy Crush today and wake up a billionare tomorrow. (which itself is a clone of Bejeweled which itself is a clone of a Russian game called Shariki)

Take Flappy Bird for example, it's not great, it's good mechanics-wise; does what it's supposed to do but somehow it generated a shit ton of money.

I'd have to say the first thing you have to consider is learning curve. Flappy bird has zero learning curve just to play the game but there's the challenge of getting good AND getting consistently high scores.

Start from creating a game that has virtually zero learning curve but gets progressively harder. If you're getting positive feedback from friends and random people then you only need better art and marketing to turn it into a success story.

• Come to think of it the only real measure of success for a game in my opinion is if it leaves the player wanting to play it again.

Either because they want to do better at playing the game or because there was something they missed that they wanted to explore for a different outcome.

It is the reason games like the Mario series have lasted so long.

• Either because they want to do better at playing the game or because there was something they missed that they wanted to explore for a different outcome.

Or because their friends and/or Youtube Idol play it too.

• >

> Either because they want to do better at playing the game or because there was something they missed that they wanted to explore for a different outcome.

>

>

Or because their friends and/or Youtube Idol play it too.

Oh sure there are some people that get a game because it is the "in" thing to do but I don't think those games have real lasting power.

Those are the same people I said buy games like candy and then toss them in the used game bin the next day looking for their next fix.

You never know what attracts those kinds of people to a game and as soon as you think you have it figured out they are on to the next shiny flashy object lol!

• Question was

"How do I determine my game is good enough to sell or is it only good for showcase?"

Question was not

"What do YOU think is a good game".

Sales figures. I stay with my opinion.

When then sales are good, the game is good enough to sell.

When not, so what, try to improve or move on to better. At least you got some experience with selling and publishing. Very needed experience.

Trust your friends to tell you if its good ? They have feelings.

Trust a forum to ask if it is any good? Well personal i dont react to such a question when i think the game is shitty. It might not seem that way, but i hate to carry out a negative message to someone who's face i dont see, who's sweat i dont smell, who's handshake i never weighted.

• Question was

"How do I determine my game is good enough to sell or is it only good for showcase?"

True but in asking his question I'm assuming he's still trying to determine if his game is good enough to publish, probably still in beta phase, and therefore sales figures can't be a good answer unless of course you're proposing he launch it and use the data from that as feedback.

Maybe I'm reading into his question too much though.

• There is a 'holding back' attitude in the question. I rather kick him to the future, then giving him the argument that he seeks to 'hold back'. There are to many that 'hold back'. And everyone needs that publishing experience. Rather flop on publishing with the first 'not that good game' then flop later when you gots that 'exellent game'. Hope you see what i mean. Do Nothing is worse then Failing. Failing is part of the game.

• Question was

Question was not

"What do YOU think is a good game".

When not, so what, try to improve or move on to better. At least you got some experience with selling and publishing. Very needed experience.

Trust your friends to tell you if its good ? They have feelings.

Trust a forum to ask if it is any good? Well personal i dont react to such a question when i think the game is shitty. It might not seem that way, but i hate to carry out a negative message to someone who's face i dont see, who's sweat i dont smell, who's handshake i never weighted.

You can't tell a game is good enough to sell from sales figures if you have not tried selling the game yet.

Sales figures are only seen after a game is being sold so it tells you nothing about whether it is good enough to sell.

OP question "What determines my game is good or not?"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)