What do we need to know before iOS 8/Android L come out?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:55 am

iOS 8 comes out in just under 2 weeks, so we should be getting our ios games ready right now. I have no idea where to start, but I heard that phonegap will replace cocoonjs and ejecta for ios exporting for iOS 8. Can we compile for phonegap and test on our ios devices right now?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:59 am

What proportion of users do you think will update to iOS 8 when its released? How about 6 months after its release, or 1 year?

As I understand it, Phonegap for iOS8 should be comparable to running Chrome preview over wifi for performance or features.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:04 am

I'm using iOS 8 right now, but I'm still using CocoonJS for my game. I could probably try Phonegap over the weekend maybe?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:11 am

Silverforce wrote:What proportion of users do you think will update to iOS 8 when its released? How about 6 months after its release, or 1 year?

As I understand it, Phonegap for iOS8 should be comparable to running Chrome preview over wifi for performance or features.

Hi @Silverforce, I don't have an Iphone, so could you explain to me please why you think it will take 6month-1year untill IOS users adept to IOS8 once it's released? With Android, once a new firmware is available, you get a notification, press update and that's it. Since everyone uses their phone daily, it shouldn't take more than a week, till everyone whose phone is eligible for the update has it. Since IOS8 is for Iphone 4GS and above, we should quickly see an overall upgrade rate of 75%
Free Android game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... VSMrMonkey

"Seven Birds VS Mr. Monkey" is a simple yet fun game.

Mr. Monkey is being attacked by birds and without a way to escape all hope seems lost. But if you think Mr. Monkey goes down that easily you are mistaken!

Help Mr. Monkey to upgrade his skills, get special attacks and show these birds who's the boss!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:17 am

Allchix wrote:
Silverforce wrote:What proportion of users do you think will update to iOS 8 when its released? How about 6 months after its release, or 1 year?

Hi @Silverforce, I don't have an Iphone, so could you explain to me please why you think it will take 6month-1year untill IOS users adept to IOS8 once it's released? With Android, once a new firmware is available, you get a notification, press update and that's it. Since everyone uses their phone daily, it shouldn't take more than a week, till everyone whose phone is eligible for the update has it. Since IOS8 is for Iphone 4GS and above, we should quickly see an overall upgrade rate of 75%

For android, every maker do not make an update for every devices right away, it can take months, even years in some cases.

And then the user has to update it manually, sure there is a notification, but that means the user has to bother doing it, it seems most of them just wont do it until they feel like it.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 am

Some manufacturers even dropped support for some of the Android devices and it wont get any more official updates. For example Galaxy S3. It will stuck on Android 4.3 unless the user wiiling to install custom roms...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:08 am

Last I saw, the adoption rate of new OSes is terrible for Android and not much better for iOS. Even one year onward after launch, we could be seeing a situation where iOS8 isn't even 50% of the market.

So, you wan't to use Phonegap exclusively? Kiss goodbye to a very large segment of your potential customers.

This is why CocoonJS being open source is great, as is for Ejecta (which for some insane reason still refuses to work for my games heh).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:59 am

I remember last year when ios 7 came out, almost 70% were on ios 7 before a week had passed
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:20 am

Whack wrote:I remember last year when ios 7 came out, almost 70% were on ios 7 before a week had passed

http://chitika.com/insights/2013/ios-7-adoption

Longer term, many months later 75%, and currently at 90%.
http://www.fiksu.com/ipad-iphone-and-io ... n-trackers
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks Tumira and Aphrodite for your replies, but i was specifically talking about IOS8 and not Android. For Android we have Crosswalk for now, so that side is covered.

And @Silverforce I still don't get your point, even in your charts it says that people switched very fast from IOS6 to IOS7. Within the first month around 50%, and after 3month 75%.

75% is generally good enough for me. Since the rest may most likely not be too active with their phones and may not be interested in playing games anyway.
Free Android game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... VSMrMonkey

"Seven Birds VS Mr. Monkey" is a simple yet fun game.

Mr. Monkey is being attacked by birds and without a way to escape all hope seems lost. But if you think Mr. Monkey goes down that easily you are mistaken!

Help Mr. Monkey to upgrade his skills, get special attacks and show these birds who's the boss!
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General