What do we need to know before iOS 8/Android L come out?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:11 pm

A device list and some vague statistics on their market share would be helpful, for example the iPhone 4 has roughly 14% of the iPhone market - and won't be getting iOS 8.
Last edited by Elliott on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:12 pm

@Allchix
While iOS8 with the potential of Phonegap is great, the point is that CocoonJS or Ejecta (for many users) works on iOS5, 6, 7 and 8.

Adoption happens over time and we won't know how iOS8 will behave with user adoption.

Android is worse for new OS adoption so Android L may not be a viable target for awhile.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Mr E Bear wrote:A device list and some vague statistics on their market share would be helpful, for example the iPhone 4 has roughly 14% of the iPhone market - and won't be getting iOS 8.

I think there are no official numbers, this is the best indicator i could find:

http://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/
Free Android game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... VSMrMonkey

"Seven Birds VS Mr. Monkey" is a simple yet fun game.

Mr. Monkey is being attacked by birds and without a way to escape all hope seems lost. But if you think Mr. Monkey goes down that easily you are mistaken!

Help Mr. Monkey to upgrade his skills, get special attacks and show these birds who's the boss!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Silverforce wrote:@Allchix
While iOS8 with the potential of Phonegap is great, the point is that CocoonJS or Ejecta (for many users) works on iOS5, 6, 7 and 8.

Adoption happens over time and we won't know how iOS8 will behave with user adoption.

Android is worse for new OS adoption so Android L may not be a viable target for awhile.

@Silverforce

Yes I understand your point. I too prefer 100% marketshare over 75%. But I couldn't find out how and if it is possible to monetize your game with Ejecta. On the other hand I don't trust Ludei/CocoonJs. They still don't make any money and I can see no clear direction the company is going. Some other guy in this forum went to a convention where Ludei was present and said that they were looking for a new investor eventually. But you know, I as an investor wouldn't put my money into a company that burned through $17million without any visual business plan. In addition, now that we have Intel Crosswalk for Android, which is free and trustworthy, and Phonegap for IOS8, there is no real need for Ludei in this game anymore.

So what happens to our games if Ludei goes bankrupt? I just want to limit my risk and have my games in save hands.
Free Android game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... VSMrMonkey

"Seven Birds VS Mr. Monkey" is a simple yet fun game.

Mr. Monkey is being attacked by birds and without a way to escape all hope seems lost. But if you think Mr. Monkey goes down that easily you are mistaken!

Help Mr. Monkey to upgrade his skills, get special attacks and show these birds who's the boss!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:52 pm

iOS is much, much faster at distributing updates than Android. Apple publish official numbers here: https://developer.apple.com/support/appstore/

One year after release, 92% of iOS devices are on the latest version. It only took ~3 months to reach 75%. I think it is fair to assume iOS 8 will see a similar update pace.

Compare that to Android (official numbers here: http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html) where about a year after release, only about 25% of users are on the latest version. Android L+ will be equally great with PhoneGap, but obviously if it goes at the same rate as KitKat will take much longer to reach vast-majority status. Still, it bodes well for the long term, and in the mean time we have Crosswalk which provides an excellent real browser-based platform and runs on Android 4.0+ (currently 88% of all Android devices and still increasing).

The compatibility problems and bugs in the non-browser wrappers like CocoonJS and Ejecta can be quite problematic for a lot of users. iOS 8+ will also be considerably faster with its WebGL support - possibly up to twice as fast. I think it is well worth targeting iOS 8+ / Android 4.0+ only for the vastly better compatibility and performance. You still reach the vast majority of users. The other way round you reach slightly more users, but have often severe bugs to deal with, and possibly lower performance for all users. Obviously it's everyone's choice to make themselves, but my confidence that it's a tradeoff worth making is part of the reason we deprecated CocoonJS.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Alright, this topic has seemed to turn into a battle about whether or not iOS 8 and Android L should be our main export OS versions for mobile. That's not what the topics mean't to be.

What new things in construct 2 will we see following these operating systems release?

How long until scirra makes it's own exporter so we don't need to PAY for phonegap?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Whack wrote:Alright, this topic has seemed to turn into a battle about whether or not iOS 8 and Android L should be our main export OS versions for mobile. That's not what the topics mean't to be.

What new things in construct 2 will we see following these operating systems release?

How long until scirra makes it's own exporter so we don't need to PAY for phonegap?

iOS 8 I think brings webGL to safari and a jit compilation of JS, which is a great news, making the html5 export really worth it on mobile devices.

Also scirra already has an export working on mobile devices, the html5 one.
And ejecta may not be great, but it is still useable as far as I know, and for "free" (you still need to pay to be able to publish anything to the app store).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Whack wrote:Alright, this topic has seemed to turn into a battle about whether or not iOS 8 and Android L should be our main export OS versions for mobile. That's not what the topics mean't to be.

You don't?

You have to pay for Build. which is PhoneGap's convenience tool - it's $10 a month, or free if you've got Adobe CC (IIRC?)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:11 pm

you don't need to pay for phonegap. just download the archive and compile locally. this is what i intend to do personally and target only ios8
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 am

I tried running my game in iOS8 Safari - WebGL was running great! I think it was managing to maintain 60 fps whenever it wasn't loading music.

Audio in general seemed pretty buggy - still needed to tap the screen to start sounds, and music seemed to either drop out/not play/not loop at times... but I didn't test extensively.

I have a feeling Phonegap will be the way forward. I'll be using CocoonJS for the initial release of my game, but I think future updates (and future games) will all be using Phonegap. I have the confidence now :)

Bonus: being a paying Adobe subscriber/customer, I get Phonegap unlimited for "free" :D
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General