What do you think, making a few dollar

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat May 07, 2011 3:33 am

I got curious about filesonic and checked out their site. Pretty much they pay money based on how many downloads, the size of the download, and the country the user is downloading from. For example, if you are in USA/UK and download 1000 files that are in 1-50MB range then you get $7.00. I guess they put ads on your page or something similar.

To put this in perspective, in the about 1 year or so I've had the Adventure and Online tutorials I've had about 8K downloads. That comes out to $56 dollars a year (best case)..not really all that great of an income.

I could see you posting valuable game examples with full tutorial for newbies or something more advanced like a short book and getting a fair number of downloads which might make you at best $50 - $100 year from that site.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 07, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks scidave. It is maybe better than nothing with $50-$100.
I have also been looking at this:
http://marketplace.tutsplus.com
Seams to be the only site buying and selling tutorials. Very nice idea because I don't have to search for the customers. Still I like "free" a lot and I will try it out some more.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 07, 2011 5:51 pm

[quote="andla":3bkllwl1]Thanks scidave. It is maybe better than nothing with $50-$100[/quote:3bkllwl1]
True, some money is better than nothing.

Another idea is to write plugins or other useful things that Construct users might want which would probably get high downloads.

Finally, instead of a few large tutorials maybe write many high quality smaller tutorials. Another option is to post completed games that are well documented.

Edit: One more thing..for your tutorial to get lots of downloads it has to be something people really want or are interested in....something they aren't likely to get elsewhere. Perhaps the authoritive source on topic X. For example, like in-depth step-by-step tutorial on the Wait object. Assuming lots of people want to use the Wait object and it isn't buggy. ;-)
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm

[quote:30cmn07n]Finally, instead of a few large tutorials maybe write many high quality smaller tutorials. Another option is to post completed games that are well documented.[/quote:30cmn07n]

Spot on there.
The ghost shooter video tutorial I made was really frustrating and took a long time to make. A lot of editing. Small and many are better for sure.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 08, 2011 1:51 pm

Well if your really serious about this, I'd suggest taking it a step further, and making interactive tutorials via Construct 2.
Html5 is going to change the face of the net, might as well get on board.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Tutorials are cool and everything but there are already loads of those available for construct and many cap examples also which are free. Usually the examples are documented well with comments and so there is not even any need to watch a video tutorial to make a simple space game etc.

Also with free file hosting sites there are only a few i actually trust like box.net and dropbox as the others usually have a load of popup adverts and have been known to give people viruses etc, i simply don't click a link if not forum hosted and it's another one of them. I am guessing other people will have a similar view also.

To be honest though i don't really think tutorials are a good way to make money. Usually they are made to help people rather than profit from them. You should probably just start making games instead and try to sell those, you could then have tutorials how to make various things from the games to help promote and boost the game sales. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 08, 2011 7:44 pm

[quote:2h48ms61]Tutorials are cool and everything but there are already loads of those available for construct and many cap examples also which are free. Usually the examples are documented well with comments and so there is not even any need to watch a video tutorial to make a simple space game etc.[/quote:2h48ms61]

On the contrary ( or maybe it is only me) I think the embedded tutorials in the caps are messy and don't give a clear overview what is going on. I'm sure you have gotten used to Construct and know the tweaks but for beginner it can be hard to connect the dots. Even I have problem understanding the caps and that is good because it leaves more material for a video tutorial.

[quote:2h48ms61]Well if your really serious about this, I'd suggest taking it a step further, and making interactive tutorials via Construct 2.
Html5 is going to change the face of the net, might as well get on board.[/quote:2h48ms61]
I have been thinking of creating tutorials for Construct 2 for the free version. But I have not looked into it yet and I don't know how much support there is in the free version for HTML5.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 08, 2011 7:54 pm

[quote:k1kwjmkm]To be honest though i don't really think tutorials are a good way to make money. Usually they are made to help people rather than profit from them. You should probably just start making games instead and try to sell those, you could then have tutorials how to make various things from the games to help promote and boost the game sales.[/quote:k1kwjmkm]

I have made $0.06 now. I got an improved download rate when I uploaded the full tutorial to FileSonic and that was only with one tutorial.
If I create games and sell them I have lots of competition. For video tutorials I don't see much competition at all. I don't worry much about the competition between video and written tutorials. I searched around and it was crystal clear people wanted video tuts over written.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 pm

There is definitely money to be made in tutorials. Just look at (for example) Lynda.com

The problem here though, is in order to be successful you need a few things that are not currently possible. One being a very, very large user-base. Construct 1 doesn't have it, and Construct 2 certainly doesn't have it. Will it ever? It's possible, but that's taking a gamble. The other problem is variety. The most successful tutorial businesses focus on more than a single product. Are you looking at anything else besides Construct?

Anyways, I wish you luck. If you're just looking for some extra cash on the side, and not trying to make a living, then you can definitely do at least that. Just don't bet the farm on one chicken.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 pm

[code:3ryqnavf]Just don't bet the farm on one chicken.[/code:3ryqnavf]
This is so true.

I try to think as simple as possible.
The fact is that people like game creation tutorials. I have asked around in a couple of forums and they are very interested to have them. Someone that likes to play games have most likely thought what if I could create a game. So I think there is a demand.
What do you think?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic