What do you use for creating game tiles

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 am

@jojoe all my machines are windows 7 or 8. you said that program is only for XP?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am

http://www.filterforge.com/ is nice for texture creation and manipulation, and for some post production.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 pm

[QUOTE=BluePhaze] @jojoe all my machines are windows 7 or 8. you said that program is only for XP?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I mentioned Texture-maker is only for XP. Neo-texture edit is for any windows based system.

You can get texture maker to work too, it just needs virtuabox and a windows XP installer disk. I really wish Tobias would update it.

Neo texture edit is Java based so there is a Linux and Mac version too.jojoe2013-02-21 12:54:44
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 pm

@BluePhaze, i am doing some tests with the bitwise method to autotile, and once we know how to draw the tiles(i am using 16 sprites to cover all positions) and their positions to use the bitwise method, you can achieve great and very organic results.
And by the way i use Drawplus, a very underated vector software

I am thinking in making a tutorial if someone is interested

bitwise autotilecesisco2013-02-28 21:39:16
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 am

@cesisco That is pretty damn awesome! Any way to add slopes, jump throughs and moving platforms using that method? Or would you use the auto tile to make the base, then add the extras the traditional way?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:44 am

[QUOTE=cesisco] @BluePhaze, i am doing some tests with the bitwise method to autotile, and once we know how to draw the tiles(i am using 16 sprites to cover all positions) and their positions to use the bitwise method, you can achieve great and very organic results.
And by the way i use Drawplus, a very underated vector software

I am thinking in making a tutorial if someone is interested

bitwise autotile[/QUOTE]

I have been an Inkscape user for quite some time now. I would love to try something new.

Looks reasonably priced and a free version too 8)

Thanks for the information.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 am

[QUOTE=BluePhaze] @cesisco That is pretty damn awesome! Any way to add slopes, jump throughs and moving platforms using that method? Or would you use the auto tile to make the base, then add the extras the traditional way?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BluePhaze] @cesisco That is pretty damn awesome! Any way to add slopes, jump throughs and moving platforms using that method? Or would you use the auto tile to make the base, then add the extras the traditional way?[/QUOTE]

@BluePhaze, you can do it both ways, what i do is,i place my terrain(just 1 square sprite) in C2 editor(not in runtime like in the example)and then the bitwise method checks each neighbour and apply the right texture for each sprite.You can have multiple types of terrains)rocks, grass, snow, underground, etc).
The other elements you can place them randomly(like the trees and flowers in the example)or manually,depending on how much control you need in the level design.I think this method is so much faster than placing everything manually.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 am

@jojoe i bought Drawplus 4 years ago because it was in a sale, and i think it has the best interface of all vectorial applications and a very powerfull effect section.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas