What does excite you about games?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:18 am

I like it when a game forces you to think creatively. That's why I like Zelda so much, great puzzles!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:27 am

For me:
  1. Games that are not rip offs, and has their own ideas.
  2. Great presentation. (nicely 'orchestrated' scenes, cohesive gameplay)
  3. Always have something EXTRA (customization, side quests, easter eggs etc.).
  4. Give me a sense of belonging/engagement.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Allen T wrote:For me:
  1. Games that are not rip offs, and has their own ideas.
  2. Great presentation. (nicely 'orchestrated' scenes, cohesive gameplay)
  3. Always have something EXTRA (customization, side quests, easter eggs etc.).
  4. Give me a sense of belonging/engagement.

Yea, we are relying on #2 and #4 for our game.
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
Company name changed to avoid Facebook-type shenanigans

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:41 am

I like freedom in games... sometimes you have games that are a constant challenge over and over... I like areas where you can 'play' and be free and not worry about dying or failing. I love the challenges of all games.. I just appreciate games that have built-in breathers..
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Apfelguts wrote:Still I am always worried that the next great looking game to be released has not gone through enough testing to avoid motion sickness in games, perhaps because the issue (Quake syndrom) isn't very present among western gamers?

Welcome to the forums.

I've never heard of Quake syndrome in my life thus far, so my experience supports this hypothesis.
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
Company name changed to avoid Facebook-type shenanigans

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 pm

Message: BMWCrown can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
I think you want to make a game so people were interested in it. So I'm interested in games that included different things and that the game has a purpose. Also I like games that are not really easy, well everyone likes something in their own personal way. And here's a link to a game that I made you might enjoy it as well.
https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-ga ... mbies-8749
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 pm

Sorry I couldn't post a link but the game is called die zombies
You can find it on this website
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:32 am

Message: Apfelguts can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
gumshoe2029 wrote:I've never heard of Quake syndrome in my life thus far, so my experience supports this hypothesis.

Hi gumshoe2029,
Thanks for the reply and welcome.
Actually, I could not find any articles that mention the word "Quake Syndrome" when referring to the motion sickness I experience. I heard this term perhaps around 20 years ago and have personally used it since. Now I realize that it might not have been the widely used term to describe motion sickness from First Person Shooters that I thought it did.

My experience with games made by the Japanese is that they tend to avoid quick changing camera angles and leave it more stable and focused when the character moves around. I wonder if Asians experience motion sickness more often than Westerners, so perhaps that may be a reason why there are less games with this issue. I am not Asian but I have spoken to Asian friends who seem to share the same problem.

During Sony's E3 2016 press conference, where they showed "Horizon Zero Dawn", there was a scene were the main character was running into the landscape where I there noticed that the camera angle was kept very still, even if the character moved slightly left and right. It was almost as though they tried to do their best avoiding the induction of motion sickness. In other words, I was positively shocked and pleased.

This article tries to explain the issue with motion sickness and also has a few tips to give. http://xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/vgmosick.htm

To add, I have also noticed that, now that games have better resolution and framerate, I have been able to play or watch 1st and 3rd person shooters for a longer time than previously.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Thank you guys for all the great feedback #) I'm working on implementing most of those things into one game
Burry me with my empty hands sticking out the ground, so that all can see, that the one who had the world on his hands, died with them empty.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:17 pm

7Winter wrote:If you have ever played a game, I believe everyone here did.. What did make you wanna play the game you have seen [what you've seen in screenshots or videos] and what has excited you in that game when you actually played it? [eg. unique level system, potions, fancy swords, atmosphere, HUD etc.]

Make your game have a good protection (from hack) because from my expierence as a gamer also a hacker :lol:
when I just hack the game kinda changing money value or else..3 days later I quit...
The Important thing is that the gamer can work harder collecting the money for new UPGRADE and new Level and new PLACE to explore or FOR A HARD STAGE such as big Boss.. That`s my opinion :twisted:
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas