What games inspire you?

Discuss new games or share memories of old

Post » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:51 am

It's funny cause no games inspire me anymore. What inspires me are the ideas I have and the picture of how people will feel experiencing it.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:23 am

Old political strategy or simulation games.
Hidden Agenda and Conflict in the Middle East Politcal Simulator.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:48 pm

Goldeneye 007, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Hotline Miami, Orcs Must Die 2!, Counter-Strike: GO, LOZ: Wind Waker to name a few...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 am

megatronx wrote:It's funny cause no games inspire me anymore. What inspires me are the ideas I have and the picture of how people will feel experiencing it.

That's how I've been feeling lately. The games that inspired me to enter game development are huge AAA productions that will take years to accumulate the skills, resources, and teams to build games that are like my favorite games. Starting small is the most important rule in any creative field, especially game development. As far as small games go, the great smaller indie games are nothing like the the games I'd make so I have to find inspiration elsewhere.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:04 am

As a gamer and developer, i think the following are worth to mention: The Neverhood, Blocks That Matter, Tetrobot and Co, Fez, Knytt Underground and Limbo.
Free Indie Game Publishing and Marketing Services. Video Game Development Tutorials, Game Reviews, Resources and much more at: http://ConstructG.com
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 08, 2014 6:11 pm

I concur that Indie Game: The movie was definitely super inspiring.

I get inspired by a lot of old games that I grew up with - Tron, Legend of Zelda I, (Colossal Cave) Adventure, Ms.Pacman, Shadowgate, River raid, Mike Tyson's punch out, etc

But lately I've been finding a lot of inspiration throughout the indie community. Ludum Dare games are incredible (more than 1500 games suddenly pop up over a weekend - whaaa?).

More recent games that got my wheels of inspiration turning are Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Knitt Underground, Little Inferno, McPixel, Super Hexagon, Swords & Sorcery, Guacamelee!, Brutal Legend, Capsized.

There's a lot of great stuff - plenty of inspiration, but only so much time!!
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Noitu Love 2 inspired me to make games... but after the fact that there are ways to pull games of such great quality without even dipping into programming language. And also Ikaruga made me want to make my games as such as this beauty of shmups!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Super Meat Boy, Megaman ,Castlevania SOT
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:26 am

As games that kinda set the bar for their respective genres, at least to me:

Pokemon
Final Fantasy Tactics
Mario 3
Zelda: A link to the Past
Unreal Tournament
Founder of HeroicTek
HeroicTek.com
Owner of HeroicDomains
HeroicDomains.com
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:57 am

Tactics Ogre games inspired me with some of their approach to tactical games.
Temple of Elemental Evil show me that a good tactical game is highly appreciated by a lot of people around the world
Front Mission games show me the ability to do customization help to make the player bond to their characters in the game

and 4e DnD mistakes demonstrate to me the fallacy of stats boost feats :D
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions