What happens if i got greenlit?

0 favourites
  • I am thinking of buying Construct 2 after a long time of using it. I am thinking after i upload the game get greenlit, what do do next? Will i be able to upload the game after exporting using NW.JS? I am a sole developer can i upload if i don't have a company? Thanks. If u can help then please answer.

• You can upload the game to steam with nwjs. Just export and upload and your game is on Steam. Super simple. But if you want to use steam achievements and other steam features you then have to use the official steam plugin or the the Steam4C2 plugin by MadSpy which I use for my game on Steam and it works great.

Offical plugin:

Steam4C2:

• Anonnymitet Thank you for answering. Looks like you uploaded a game before, so can i upload a game as a sole developer or do i need a company?

• You can upload the game with sole proprietorship and don't need a company. I did this but will soon change the account to a company for my next project

• how did you promote your game when it was on steam greenlight?

• KnivetonStudios I didn't do much actually. I submitted it to greenlight for fun and went on a vacation to Italy. And was then asked to join a bundle which I did but it didn't sell so much. And then the game was greenlit after getting far from the amount of yes votes that it usually takes so I was a bit surprised how quick it went through. The yes and no ratio was really good though but they don't take that into account when greenlighting so I don't know how it could go through so quick but I don't complain

But can't really give any advice about promoting games because that is something that I really have no experience in yet.

• Anonnymitet , I hope you find some time to answer the following questions because I'm also going to publish a game to Greenlight soon and I could really need some practical information from someone who already has experience with Steam & Valve.

Questions:

1. What exactly do you mean by "change the account to a company", does that mean that you are forced to open up a company later in the process?

2. After you've been Greenlit, how did Valve contact you or did you have to contact them?

3. Is it possible to "privately" test out Steam features such as achievements and leaderboards before releasing your game to public?

4. I see from your account that you are from Sweden, is it possible that taxes and things like that are handled differently depending on your region or does everything follow under the laws and taxes of their region?

5. How does game updating work, do you have to update all the game files at once (including savedata that is stored inside the gamefolder)?

6. Is it possible to prompt users to download and install the requirements of a C2 game (e.g. "Webgl effects installer")?

Sorry for asking you a ton of questions, I generally like ask questions before I do any important actions.

I know that you might not be allowed to share explicit information, please mention or if necessary try to "talk around" any restricted parts.

Thank you in advance, hoping to receive a response soon.

• Anonnymitet , I hope you find some time to answer the following questions because I'm also going to publish a game to Greenlight soon and I could really need some practical information from someone who already has experience with Steam & Valve.

Questions:

1. What exactly do you mean by "change the account to a company", does that mean that you are forced to open up a company later in the process?

2. After you've been Greenlit, how did Valve contact you or did you have to contact them?

3. Is it possible to "privately" test out Steam features such as achievements and leaderboards before releasing your game to public?

4. I see from your account that you are from Sweden, is it possible that taxes and things like that are handled differently depending on your region or does everything follow under the laws and taxes of their region?

5. How does game updating work, do you have to update all the game files at once (including savedata that is stored inside the gamefolder)?

6. Is it possible to prompt users to download and install the requirements of a C2 game (e.g. "Webgl effects installer")?

Sorry for asking you a ton of questions, I generally like ask questions before I do any important actions.

I know that you might not be allowed to share explicit information, please mention or if necessary try to "talk around" any restricted parts.

Thank you in advance, hoping to receive a response soon.

Hi.

No problem. I can answer your questions.

1. As I'm in the process of starting my own studio in Sweden and want my game to be tied and legally owned by the company then I have to make my steamworks account connected to the company instead of me as an individual. So all payments from Steam will be paid out to the company account instead. I would recommend starting as a company from the start if you plan to start a company as the process of changing from individual to company is a bit complicated and takes time.

2. When you have been greenlit you'll get step by step instructions how to proceed from your greenlight profile. Very simple process

3. You can make a private bransch to test the game and invite friends or beta testers without anything is visible to the public and test the game and new versions very easily.

4. When Steam pays me for my sales they keep the VAT for all US sales and then takes their cut and the rest is paid out to me. So I then have to follow the tax rules in Sweden and pay my taxes. This is why I want to have a company which makes this process a lot easier. So what you do with the payment from steam is totally based on the tax laws in your country. They also provide a report about the US taxes for you so you can include that in your tax statement.

5. This is also very simple. Just export from C2 and upload the whole folder to your Steamworks folder and then everyone will get the update if you choose to make it public. You can in this step also just publish it in secret to your testers first. Savedata can be handled by cloud save easily or just locally. It will not be lost if you update the game even if it is in the game folder.

6. Yes you can tell steam to install custom software that is needed to play the game before installing the game. There are a few to choose from like DirectX and other common ones but you can add your own as well.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear. The taxes and payments is very complicated and you should get professional advice from someone in your country who knows how you should handle your new income as this is very different from country to country

Good luck with the greenlight process!

• Anonnymitet i saw some screenshots and during when you continue submission the first thing you need to fill is company name. Is that right? Can it be bypassed?

• fathybasha Yes the company name doesn't have to be a real company and you can write whatever you want there. So you can just write your name if you want. I choose to put my studio name there as I a knew that I would change to a company in the future.

• Anonnymitet thank you for that I was a bit conflicted wether promotion was needed or not as there are lots of different things I have seen and read telling me to do it different ways.

Also I was wondering if this was your first game you tried to get greenlight or even if it was the first game you have ever published (to websites like kongragrate etc)

Thanks

• KnivetonStudios I feel that if you have a good trailer and a nice presentation then that does a lot on greenlight and the votes will totally pour in the first days without you doing anything. But will then drop to almost 0 when you leave the front page and then it is up to you to get the traffic to your game.

This is my first game I've ever made and published so I had no previous knowledge of greenlight before this.

• fathybasha Yes the company name doesn't have to be a real company and you can write whatever you want there. So you can just write your name if you want. I choose to put my studio name there as I a knew that I would change to a company in the future.

hanks for your responses.

Are you 100% sure that we can do that?

I don't want to get in trouble for doing something against their guidelines.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > fathybasha Yes the company name doesn't have to be a real company and you can write whatever you want there. So you can just write your name if you want. I choose to put my studio name there as I a knew that I would change to a company in the future.

> hanks for your responses.

Are you 100% sure that we can do that?

I don't want to get in trouble for doing something against their guidelines.

Yes I'm 100% sure. It is clearly stated in their guidelines that you can release your game without a company and under any alias you want. Submitting your game as an individual is a standard preset option that you can select when publishing your game So if you choose this then your company name will be your legal name inside Steam.

So if you publish a game it will put your "company name" on the store page and it can be your real name or an alias if you want but in Steams systems you are registered as an individual by name for all legal agreements.

• Thank you very much, you helped me out a lot.

That's all I need for now, best wishes for your future projects!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)