What happens to those who donated to C0.x?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
  • I didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I thought it might be better to bring up sooner rather than later. Do those who donated to C0.x get any kind of reduced cost for C2? They donated when Construct was a free, open source program, but since it is essentially cancelled (for Scirra anyway) and C2 is commercial, do the donors get anything special?

I don't know how many people donated(I'm guessing the number is small), but since what they gave money towards was cancelled and a commercial project was started instead, it's only right to give them a discount or something.

• They didn't buy anything. They donated. The donation was presumably because they appreciated the work that went into Construct.

You don't receive anything from donations... that's the point of donations. You give without expectation of getting something in return, besides the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping someone out.

So I'd change the "It's only right" to "It would be nice"

• I've already contacted everyone who donated since the start of the C2 public preview to offer licenses or a refund, because we went closed source after some donations were made. I'm under the impression that, as deadeye said, the donations made toward 0.x were a token of thanks, rather than a kind of purchase. However, if anybody has made a particular significant contribution to 0.x feel free to email me and I may be able to work something out for you.

• This seems rather unfair.Aka favoritism.What about the people who made Plugins and Tutorials?.Everyone should be treated equally unless they are shareholders.Donations should not be used as payoff's for a commercial product.

• Don't take it personally.

I'm sure Ash is just trying to be fair to those who gave money to Construct 0.x.

Although I do agree with "Dead" on this one.

Donations are just that, and even as it stands, Construct 0.x is very useful and worth a few quid.

Unless someone gave hundreds of pounds, which I doubt anyone did, then I don't think they are "owed" anything.

Krush.

• This seems rather unfair.Aka favoritism.What about the people who made Plugins and Tutorials?

What about them? I've made tutorials, examples, written wiki articles, spent countless hours helping people in Help/Tech solve problems, moderated the forum to keep it clear of spam and pissing contests, and did beta testing and bug reporting for the better part of three years.

As a volunteer.

I did it on my time, for my own reasons, because I wanted to give back something to the community that made Construct what it was. Not because I was expecting something in return.

I've seen a lot of this sort of attitude on the forum lately and frankly I'm a little concerned. Try losing that misplaced sense of entitlement and rekindle your community spirit. If you're not here because you enjoy being here and you support Construct then what's the point?

And no, this isn't aimed solely at you Draven, I've seen it happening a lot around here lately.

• Well look at it this way.

C0.x is still open source.

Gullen^2, perhaps you should just change the name from Construct 2, to something else and avoid the headaches.

<- runs off makes another useless logo.

• Entitlement makes me want to facepalm with a stainless steel glove menacing with rusty iron spikes.

• Contacting everyone who made a donation since the start of C2 offering a refund or licenses is a completely fair thing to do. If anyone who donated before this period of time feels particularly hard done by for some reason, you can PM either me or Ash and we will try and resolve your issue as best we can.

This doesn't take away from the huge appreciation we have for anyone that has donated anything to this site, whether it is their time, code, their tutorials, their moderation, their support questions, artwork, anything! We really do appreciate it and hope you continue to stay with us and help grow the community.

• I did it on my time, for my own reasons, because I wanted to give back something to the community that made Construct what it was. Not because I was expecting something in return.

I've seen a lot of this sort of attitude on the forum lately and frankly I'm a little concerned. Try losing that misplaced sense of entitlement and rekindle your community spirit. If you're not here because you enjoy being here and you support Construct then what's the point?

And no, this isn't aimed solely at you Draven, I've seen it happening a lot around here lately.

totally agree. it's annoyingly nonstop in the c2 forums.

They're trying to make an awesome game creator. They decided they wanted to make a career out of it as well. End of story. You're not abandoned stepchildren. You're not slighted exgirlfriends. You're not victims of another great indie group selling out to the almighty dollar.

You're the lucky users of a great piece of software that was given to you for free. And the beta testers of an improved version of that software, that deserves to go commercial. I know this isn't the tone Ashley and Tom have been trying to project, so I'm definitely speaking for myself here. but if it offends anyone, I assure you the tone taken by most of the those who feel like they have some debt to hold over scirra's head is just as offensive to me.

• Right, well, I can see it from both sides and whatever seems fair or breeds goodwill is best.

None of this is an issue to me, personally, and I'm not really concerned about it, but I thought it was good to bring it up now before someone else does later. However, since the negativity on the forums already seems to be considered a problem, maybe I shouldn't mention anything until the community is more stable?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No, don't stop posting for that reason. It's a perfectly good and legitimate question that we had considered when we decided to close source C2.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)