What has your iOS/Android publishing experience been like?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:25 am

Making pennies from Admob lol.. but thank god for other ways of making money from Construct 2.

http://www.jetta88productions.com/2015/ ... me-report/
Image
B
82
S
16
G
4
Posts: 503
Reputation: 8,978

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:25 am

This thread does not sound encouraging to some one who's still considering purchasing C2. I've read all the posts and seems like the 'experiences' have ranged from minor frustration to keyboard smashing aggravation.

Kazaa seems to have found several sources of income from Construct (which is encouraging) but 3 things struck me.

  1. Since you claim that's your first month, that's impressive. But I suspect you've spent many months getting to that point. Nobody is going to write a book on Construct in their first month.
  2. For those of us just diving into Construct, I seriously doubt we'll be raking in $1400+ a month off of clients.
  3. Re-skinning a game is more about art, creativity and a good paint program. I also notice you plan to create an online course and have written a second book and you create templates. It seems to me the niche you've dove into isn't publishing with Construct, but rather making money off those who want to publish with Construct (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

I've also looked at what C2 apps on Flippa sell for and if what I saw was an example of what people pay, I have to ask, did you spend more than 20 hours re-skinning those apps? Because if you did, I make as much money per hour driving a school bus.

I realize that making money with Construct is a lot like those get rich quick ads you see on late night television, "your experience may vary". And I also realize that creating a profitable app is not something everyone is going to do right out of the gate (artistic skills drawing a big line in the sand). But if I'm going to shell out $129.00 (which will still buy half a cart of groceries or 2 tanks of gas) and then, fork over 10% of my first $5,000 (which I seriously won't mind doing should I get to that point), I'm not really encouraged reading about spending a month creating a game and another month getting it published, or worse... having to pay someone to help you get published or worse... having to buy a plugin just to get published because the ones with Construct don't work... or even WORSE, $500.00 to remove a splash screen because your choices for getting published are THAT limited? Seriously?

I understand the point of this thread is to convince Ashley that Construct needs to be a start-to-finish solution. Here's what I'm convinced of:

  1. The speed at which I'm able to learn Construct and create working apps/games is amazing.
  2. The experiences I've read about in this thread totally negate #1.

I honestly can't see spending the money if I'd end up like one response: One game published but 5 sitting on the hard drive because publishing is such a pain in the ass.

Vegamon007 wrote:Conclusion - The lack of an in-built exporter is the single biggest weakness of Construct 2 and I can absolutely see how it could be a complete show-stopper for new developers trying to build their game using C2.


Thanks for your honesty. Until I learn a lot more... the show has stopped.
B
15
S
5
Posts: 124
Reputation: 1,687

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:55 pm

I don't mind cocoon's splash screen - they have to eat too. If you look at my game, their splash screen is on for less than 3 seconds. Not saying that that works for everyone but I think it's fair.
Image
B
12
S
2
Posts: 91
Reputation: 862

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:28 pm

I agree with Big Infinity. The $500 is optional and for most personal projects it's a non issue. My concern with that is for client work where someone hires me to make a game for them. Then things change some. Also I still in spite of fans of Cocoon IO, I haven't seen it work yet for me personally so I'm using XDK which has no splash screen.

@Fengist $129 is still fair and remember it's a one time purchase. however you're right it isn't a good thing for new developers, but let me also back up and say that if you're serious about wanting to do apps and you're not a programmer this is still the best option. Also I can tell you that app publishing for Xcode and other game engines have their own aggrivations and publishing to apple is a pain in the ass no matter what for a new person because it's confusing and counter-intuitive. period.

As a seasoned C2 developer, I brought up this thread to help expose a the area that needs work still. However if you think that app development on other platforms is easier / better.. even if their publishing pipeline is more refined you have a whole other challenge of learning how to code / learn their game engine / become efficient at creating games.

C2 gets your idea up and running faster.. and web and even pc/steam is an option and those paths to publication are way smoother.. additionally even if this were easy..

I never got the sense that C2 is promising wealth for everyone. If you want to look for real sharks / schemes.. check out build box.. they chage $2600 for their drag/drop game engine.. much less powerful than C2.. or a 12 month $99 a month subscription... GameSalad is the same with a $300 a year subscription for pro users and their engine (like buildbox) is sandboxed without plugin support.

C2 is not perfect.. but you'll be hard pressed to find a better easy to use engine!

However in spite of that I'm always going to advocate improvements that can be made.. not everything is possible and not everything will happen, but if we unify in our message as the users / fans of this product, Ashley will hear us and Scirra can respond.. if we say nothing then nothing changes.

This thread isn't meant to scare off people but if it does they were not cut out for app development because app development is not easy.. it is not intuitive. it's work.. but for most of us, it's enjoyable hard work.. but the publishing stuff does feel unstable at times and that's what this thread is for. I want to know if maybe I'm just an unlucky guy with some plugins / processes.. and look some errors have been my own thinking it was a plugin or tool issue.. but this is because there really are a lot of little steps you have to be diligent about.. and anything that could smooth this process out would be a welcome change / improvement.

I don't expect C2 to implement my dream of an integrated publishing solution with cordova.. but what I'm looking at is C3 and how it might be possible while they are building it to consider ways to create a smooth publishing pipeline.
B
59
S
9
G
1
Posts: 942
Reputation: 6,553

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Big Infinity wrote:I don't mind cocoon's splash screen - they have to eat too. If you look at my game, their splash screen is on for less than 3 seconds. Not saying that that works for everyone but I think it's fair.


If you're using their free service then yes, I'd agree, they do have to eat. A splash screen is more than fair. If this splash screen is still present once you start paying them a monthly fee then no, that's greed. And if they're demanding $500 to remove their ads on top of the monthly fee, that's outrageous.

---

Thanks @part12studios. I'm not looking for a free ride, by any means. I am a published shareware author with another language (Delphi) so the inability to program isn't an issue and I'm a decent hack with PHP/MySQL (I do have one WordPress plugin out and about) and, after beating my head against Unity for another project, I can now write basic stuff in C#.

From what I've experienced, C2 does fit the bill for a RAD (Rapid Application Development) platform and I have no doubt that it's worth the investment... provided the whole act of deployment doesn't bring the process to a screeching halt. And I also am well aware that, when learning a new language, there is a learning curve involved. With C2, that seems to be a rather flat curve for me. For publishing though, it seems pretty steep for most.

While I haven't given up on the hope of purchasing C2, I've put the brakes on. While the free version does give a great opportunity to work with C2, I can also see how it's severely misleading in that you don't get to experience the next step in the process, publishing using someone else's software.

After posting that I did find a thread with a guy claiming to make $150/day from admob. So there are seeming success stories to counterbalance the horror stories. Right now though, I need to know before I invest the money, and more importantly the time, that I'm not going to run headlong into a brick wall trying to figure out how to get published (like the guy in another post who just discovered after a year of creating his game, he's run into a 100mb APK limitation).

But I'll shut up now. I want to hear more of these experiences just like part12.
B
15
S
5
Posts: 124
Reputation: 1,687

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:19 pm

TonyW wrote:This is the plugin that i used : cordova-plugin-payment-iap

and this is the build error [...]

Thanks, I would like to be able to use IAP apps again.

You can try adding "File" plugin to Intel XDK. It is required for many other plugins to work.
B
32
S
7
G
4
Posts: 398
Reputation: 4,591

Post » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Fengist wrote:This thread does not sound encouraging to some one who's still considering purchasing C2. I've read all the posts and seems like the 'experiences' have ranged from minor frustration to keyboard smashing aggravation.

Kazaa seems to have found several sources of income from Construct (which is encouraging) but 3 things struck me.

  1. Since you claim that's your first month, that's impressive. But I suspect you've spent many months getting to that point. Nobody is going to write a book on Construct in their first month.
  2. For those of us just diving into Construct, I seriously doubt we'll be raking in $1400+ a month off of clients.
  3. Re-skinning a game is more about art, creativity and a good paint program. I also notice you plan to create an online course and have written a second book and you create templates. It seems to me the niche you've dove into isn't publishing with Construct, but rather making money off those who want to publish with Construct (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

I've also looked at what C2 apps on Flippa sell for and if what I saw was an example of what people pay, I have to ask, did you spend more than 20 hours re-skinning those apps? Because if you did, I make as much money per hour driving a school bus.

I realize that making money with Construct is a lot like those get rich quick ads you see on late night television, "your experience may vary". And I also realize that creating a profitable app is not something everyone is going to do right out of the gate (artistic skills drawing a big line in the sand). But if I'm going to shell out $129.00 (which will still buy half a cart of groceries or 2 tanks of gas) and then, fork over 10% of my first $5,000 (which I seriously won't mind doing should I get to that point), I'm not really encouraged reading about spending a month creating a game and another month getting it published, or worse... having to pay someone to help you get published or worse... having to buy a plugin just to get published because the ones with Construct don't work... or even WORSE, $500.00 to remove a splash screen because your choices for getting published are THAT limited? Seriously?

I understand the point of this thread is to convince Ashley that Construct needs to be a start-to-finish solution. Here's what I'm convinced of:

  1. The speed at which I'm able to learn Construct and create working apps/games is amazing.
  2. The experiences I've read about in this thread totally negate #1.

I honestly can't see spending the money if I'd end up like one response: One game published but 5 sitting on the hard drive because publishing is such a pain in the ass.

Vegamon007 wrote:Conclusion - The lack of an in-built exporter is the single biggest weakness of Construct 2 and I can absolutely see how it could be a complete show-stopper for new developers trying to build their game using C2.


Thanks for your honesty. Until I learn a lot more... the show has stopped.



I'll be happy to answer your thoughts and concerns..





I've also looked at what C2 apps on Flippa sell for and if what I saw was an example of what people pay, I have to ask, did you spend more than 20 hours re-skinning those apps? Because if you did, I make as much money per hour driving a school bus.


Yes, most of the Flippa auctions are lowballers. Sad to say, but it virtually takes me about 20 mins to reskin an app, especially if I have the art available. Reskin isn't rocket science. All your doing is replacing game assets with new fresh ones. I have a day job, but an extra $2,000 income is very welcoming to me. You make alot more from Flippa auctions, if you have a well established app with many downloads and making great amounts of money a month from ads and in-app purchases.

For those of us just diving into Construct, I seriously doubt we'll be raking in $1400+ a month off of clients.


Of course, you will have to make connections. Being on Flippa allowed me to make those connections.

Since you claim that's your first month, that's impressive. But I suspect you've spent many months getting to that point. Nobody is going to write a book on Construct in their first month.


I've been on Flippa for months (March 2015). My niche was to sell app reskins with $1 Reserves. While making nearly $4k in 7 months isn't nearly anything to boast at, but it's still an extra $4k that I've earned on my yearly income. I released my "Making $$$ with Flippa and C2" in July 2015, so that gave me 4 months to research on how I made money with C2 and Flippa and I wanted to share with others how I made passive income with it. In Sept 2015, I was able to score my first freelance client to make a mobile C2 game.


Will C2 replace my day job? No, but it's one of the tools that I use to dream to making an living with passive income. Once, I make at least $10,000 a month from passive income, then maybe I can quit my day job and focus full-time on working online.
Image
B
82
S
16
G
4
Posts: 503
Reputation: 8,978

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:01 pm

@part12studios
What cranberrygame plugins are you using?
I can't build any project with them!
B
89
S
28
G
11
Posts: 652
Reputation: 11,428

Post » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

@lolva the main ones i've been using lately are:

IAP
Google Analytics
Admob
Share
Screen Orientation (portrait or landscape depending)

Those are the ones I use fairly often.

I've started using the Unity3D ads one so far and it's going ok but I've only tested it on iOS and I think Android might be having some issues.

be sure you downgrade your project from 5.1.1 or whatever it is now.. down to 4.1.2

what error do you get? what are you using to build the app? what platform are you targeting first?
B
59
S
9
G
1
Posts: 942
Reputation: 6,553

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 pm

So where are we on this subject in 2017 ? I'm going to purchase a personal license but if publishing to iOS and Android platforms is all but easy, I'll reconsider my investment...
B
4
Posts: 4
Reputation: 210

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests