What is considered High Mem usage for Pc?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Ashley wrote:I think a general rule of thumb if you want to reach a wide range of devices would be something like:

For mobile games: avoid going over 200mb (going over 100mb will probably still rule out devices with <1GB memory)

For desktop games: avoid going over 400mb (going over 200mb will probably still rule out devices with 256MB VRAM)

Exceeding those amounts will probably make your game only possible to run on high end devices, reducing the number of players who can play your game.

The OS and other applications will still be using VRAM, so to fit your game on a graphics card with 512 MB VRAM alongside the OS and other applications, it's probably best to stay under 400mb.

Consider using Spriter for animations - it's far more memory efficient. Also your screenshot appears to include a lot of redundant images (the blocks/slopes). Construct 2 should deduplicate truly identical images, but consider re-using the same ones if at all possible.

I was aiming for 512mb :) well i guess i was near the point of 400
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 19, 2014 9:22 pm

@lennaert
lennaert wrote:
Ldk wrote:Hi.
I tend to split my dedicated layouts now, objects, characters, etc. with a result indicating much lower estimated memory usages for the biggest layout (likely the layout filled with most unique objects/animations)

Where can i find more info about this?

@Ashley
The slopes appear redundant but it contains small animated grass.

I will go through a re-sizing exercise and re-size all my assets appropriately.
B
S

Post » Thu May 22, 2014 7:06 am

Ldk wrote:@lennaert
lennaert wrote:
I tend to split my dedicated layouts now, objects, characters, etc. with a result indicating much lower estimated memory usages for the biggest layout (likely the layout filled with most unique objects/animations)

There isn't much info about this really, I've gone by replies from Ashley over the months, and distilled it down to that after some tests.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 22, 2014 3:55 pm

What if I have a sprite 2048x2048 pixels and scale it up a little. Is memory footprint getting bigger then and what about exceeding size limit?
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Ldk wrote:@lennaert
lennaert wrote:

Construct 2 displays an estimated memory use in the status bar. You should keep an eye on that. The estimate is based on the largest layout's image memory use, plus the memory used by two images the size of the window (which will probably be necessary by the OS or engine rendering system). With good image re-use, it should be easy to keep this under 60-80mb.

This is what is showed in the status bar, however, a more "legit" value would be by using the ImageMemoryUsage system expression, which will return the current memory use of the images currently loaded (which can help compare layouts memory use of images, to see if one of them is using a lot compared to others).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General