What is graphic format better to use?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • Hi!

If I use a large number of sprites in the application, it slows down (FPS decreases). Tell me, please, what graphic format is better to use to optimize the speed of application? Which is faster?

Must it be compressed? Or is it better to use uncompressed format?

What is best to use if I don't need an alpha channel? Or if on the contrary, it is necessary?

My priority is the speed of the game, rather than the final size of application, so I'd like to know, what is the format processed more faster?

• Doesn't really matter, everything is converted to png.

All you can really do is make smaller images, and reuse what you can.

• So, JPEG, BMP and PNG are processed for the same time?

I.e. the application with 1000 jpeg files or 1000 bmp files or 1000 png files(probably with alpha channel) will have the same FPS?

• yes, whenever you load an image into construct it's automatically converted to a png with alpha. Changing your graphics to another format does nothing once they are imported into construct.

• Construct converts everything you import to lossless 32-bit PNG files, which doesn't affect the quality. When you run the game, DirectX loads the PNG files effectively as uncompressed BMP files, because textures cannot be compressed in VRAM. So the source file format affects neither the .cap file size nor the runtime speed or VRAM usage.

How many sprites are you talking about? 100? 10,000? You could also check out the optimisation tips article.

• Also it's faster to use power-of-two sizes. Most old hardware can't support odd texture resolutions, causing them to painfully resample the texture itself on load (and look blurry while adding some load time).

• Graphics cards don't resample images that aren't power of two. They just create a texture in VRAM of the next biggest power of two size and copy it into it. Shouldn't be any slowdown.

• When you run the game, DirectX loads the PNG files effectively as uncompressed BMP files, because textures cannot be compressed in VRAM. So the source file format affects neither the .cap file size nor the runtime speed or VRAM usage.

I'm sorry for being a little late here, but you can use DDS textures for compressed textures, as they remain compressed even in the VRAM with no cost in perfomance whatsoever. The graphics card have built-in support for them since 2004, and seeing how rapidly the perfomance is consumed, perhaps it would be a good idea to look at it...

• Damizean

Wow! Thank you so much!

One question. Does ATI Radeon support this DDS format? Because as I understand it's NVIDIA own format...

• Damizean

Wow! Thank you so much!

One question. Does ATI Radeon support this DDS format? Because as I understand it's NVIDIA own format...

It has been included in the DirectX specifications since DX6.0, it should be supported by any graphics card compliants with the specifications. Anyway, I'm talking about the possibility of using them in the future, it's not implemented as of yet.

• Damizean

I've tried to use DDS Convertor 2.1, but it gives an error.

Could you advise me how is better to convert png to dds? In what program? And what should be the settings to achieve the best performance and quite high-quality image?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Could you advise me how is better to convert png to dds? In what program? And what should be the settings to achieve the best performance and quite high-quality image?

Stick with png

• newt

Stick with png

Sorry, but I don't understand you.. Can you explain in detail?

• DDS won't work with the current version of Construct.

• However, the error is because your image is not power of two, as it says. It should work with 128x128.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)