What is the best way to control enemy patterns in a shmup

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm

hello everyone I am trying to create a shmup in construct 2 a shmup is an old type of arcade game where the player must avoid bullets and enemy ships which fly at the player in patterns I have not seen any other games made with C2 like this there are space shooter games, but the enemies in those games seem to be randomised anyway, I was wondering what would be the quickest and best way to control the patterns of the enemies here is an example of the sort of thing I want to make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlaP-7SIHz0
right now I am using the Moveto plugin but that is taking forever since I have to enter the destination x and y for every place I want the enemy to head to is there a plug in which lets me just place waypoints?
This is what it is like for me to create just one wave of enemies
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I made one just for fun in a day or two a while back. If I remember correctly I used the bullet and sine behaviors for the different patterns.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm

sine of course i don't surpose you could post a example?
(edit) I just tried sine a behavior I honestly forgot existed and died in 2 clicks what took me almost an hour before I can't believe I was so stupid that said if any knows of a plug-in which lets you quickly program waypoints I would appreciate it
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Look at plugins list i think there was a couple path plugins.
I haven't used the moveto plugin but I think you can use it to do what you want. Just put your list of points in a comma separated list and use it like so:

Global text points="10,32, 100,40, 600,2"
Global number index=0
Global number goalx=0
Global number goaly=0

X=goalx
Y=goaly
--- add 2 to index

Every tick
--- set goalx to int(tokenat(points, index, ","))
--- set goaly to int(tokenat(points, index+1, ","))
--- move to goalx, goaly

Or something along those lines.
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?