What is the official word on the Cocoon JS relationship?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:38 pm

The logic behind hiding Cocoon JS under Depricated Exporters no longer makes any sense.

Ludei continues to update their Cocoon JS Cloud Compiler with new features and bug fixes, their end result makes the most stable apk for the Google Play store by far.

Was there an official reason? Did some deal go bad? That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

I have several games published across Google Play, Amazon, Steam, and a handful of websites, if you're trying to slowly work CocoonJS out of your program all you'll succeed in doing is slowly working me over to Game Maker.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:00 am

Ashley said:

we do support Ludei's Webviews. Last I heard, Canvas+ still had memory management problems, which was the #1 complaint, and still has a long list of features not supported (Web Audio, WebRTC, XML parsing...) that lots of users want. Even if you can get by without them, a lot of other users need that, and only the webviews can provide it.

so from Ashley's point of view Crosswalk is - IN THEORY - better than CocoonJS Canvas+. Of course practice shows that Crosswalk is not better (it is slow, it jitters, it has memory issues too ( @squiddster ), it has slow audio decoding, it had terrible SSL security issue, it has much bigger APK) but it does not matter for Ashley. Because in theory Crosswalk is better than CocoonJS Canvas+.

As for now we can only ask @Ludei for support and wait for their Atomic Plugins for Canvas+/WebView+.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:39 am

@netsmartcentral there was indeed pretty much issues with ludei at the time, and none of them was ever solved until the depreciation, so in the end it is better that ludei is depreciated as it means scirra does not do anything to make it compatible (which was already something to expect) while ludei does things to be compatible with C2, which is actually how it should have worked in the first place, I remember that supporting canvas+ was the worst decision they made as it was completely broken for 6 months (not just jittering, completely impossible to use at all).

In the end, you can use canvas+ if you want, as it is far more stable than it was, just consider that none of the exporters (other than html5) is actually supported by scirra, it is more personnal recommandations (based on facts sure but still), as none of them should actually be "an official exporter".

More infos here : who-wants-cocoonjs-support-back_t115170 , keep in mind the context was not the same as today.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:26 am

Aphrodite wrote:so in the end it is better that ludei is depreciated as it means scirra does not do anything to make it compatible (which was already something to expect) while ludei does things to be compatible with C2, which is actually how it should have worked in the first place

somehow you are right :)

There was time when @Ludei was totally ignoring C2 devs remarks
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:58 am

We support Ludei's Webview-based platforms via the Cordova exporter (they are cordova-compatible). Canvas+ will remain deprecated: it had far more problems than Crosswalk.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Ashley wrote:We support Ludei's Webview-based platforms via the Cordova exporter (they are cordova-compatible). Canvas+ will remain deprecated: it had far more problems than Crosswalk.

Cordova does not have anywhere near the functionality that is offered on their Cloud Compile.

Are you aware of the fact that Canvas + is only One of Three different Options for their Compilation? There's also Webview + and System Webview.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:48 pm

B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:51 pm

"We support Ludei's Webview-based platforms via the Cordova exporter (they are cordova-compatible). "

Pretty sure it meant you could use the cordova exporter with their cloud based compilation for webview and webview+.

@netsmartcentral
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Cocoon JS is more stable and more fully featured than all of the other export options, can you please bring it back up to the front.

Moving Cocoon to Deprecated makes it seem like you're slowly pushing it out the door, I can't keep using Construct 2 if I have to worry that all of a sudden my primary means of exporting the games is moved out of the infrastructure. That's a waste of time and resources.

Move it back plz
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Aphrodite wrote:"We support Ludei's Webview-based platforms via the Cordova exporter (they are cordova-compatible). "

Pretty sure it meant you could use the cordova exporter with their cloud based compilation for webview and webview+.

@netsmartcentral

Cordova Through CocoonJS doesn't have ANY of the customization options and Google Play / Mopub integration.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General