What is your favorite shmup and why?

Discuss new games or share memories of old

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:50 pm

Police Barade because of all the enemies you get to kill with all the power ups, the difficult boss battles, and the insane backgrounds. The depth perception in the game is really good, too, it makes you feel like you're soaring high in the sky.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:46 am

When I was younger I used to play this game a lot Image

It´s free and called D.O.V.E! Mainly liked it cause of the possibility to change the weapon to backshooting :D
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Old school favorites:
Lifeforce/Salamander for NES
For nostalgia - not a particularly difficult game. Loved that it mixed horizontal and vertical scrolling levels in the same game.
Life Force_(NES)_08.png

DoDonPachi (favorite bullet hell)
This is just a classic, found an arcade in Taiwan that actually had it and played the "bullet hell" out of it.

Mushihimesama because I secretly hate myself.
REFLEXIONShmupcover.jpg

Apogee's Raptor: Call of the Shadows (loved upgrading my weapons in that game)
raptor1.gif

And basically every Touhou game for the art style and music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project

Finally a personal favorite (I'll be impressed if anyone else here has played it):
Steel Empire for the Sega Genesis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:50 am

Image Image

I always liked Mars Matrix as it difference itself quite a bit from most shmups. It doesn't have an weapon upgrade system per say as typical shmups, but rather it increases with power as you gain points by chaining attacks. However, you do have different attacks based on *how* you press the shoot button - and everything is done from that one single button. The graphics and music are great too. Also, instead of have a vertical screen display as nearly all vertical shmups do, it has a horizontal display (kinda like James Town for a more recent shmup). Insanely tough game though.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:37 am

Does anyone know a game where you play Coop on SNES with some kind of....jellybean dudes in space suits? Vertical scrolling....

Used to love this, but can´t remember the name
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm

@Cryptwalker
I think I played that game a LONG LONG time ago at a friend's house on his dreamcast. Seems like there were a dozen or so really great arcade shmups that were only ported to the Dreamcast. Wish they'd re-release some of them on Steam or even XBLA.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:30 pm

cacotigon wrote:@Cryptwalker
I think I played that game a LONG LONG time ago at a friend's house on his dreamcast. Seems like there were a dozen or so really great arcade shmups that were only ported to the Dreamcast. Wish they'd re-release some of them on Steam or even XBLA.

Yep, the Dreamcast had some great shmups. As far as I know, i think only Ikaruga was ported to Steam and XBLA. Another good one was Radiant Silvergun which is also on XBLA. The Raiden series was ported to Desura as well as mobile devices also.

You can still play most of these on MAME also which is what i do (having your own arcade cabinet to play it with is nice too).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:06 pm

One of my all time favourites is xenon 2 megablast on the Amiga

Loved the graphics and spent many hours on it during my teenage years

Also loved Battle Squadron on Amiga which I have been playing again recently on android
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:18 am

Tyrian 2k and Jets'n'guns, they both have the biggest collection of weapons and upgrades afaik.
Tyrian 2k is free on gog.com.

Both have a similar concept.
You get coins for killing the enemy, which you can spend on buying weapons/upgrades.
Each weapon can be upgraded 3 times and up (some ten times!). Those are not regular increased fire rate or increased damage. You can fire more rockets/lasers at once. Shoots an additional plasma in a different direction etc.
The beauty is you can undo the upgrade and sell the weapon at anytime for the full price! You won't be bound to one single weapon every level due to this.

Note Jets'n'guns is inspired by Tyrian 2k
It's time for me to return the favor :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:51 am

Shmup?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions