What kind of games are people making with Construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:07 am

I'm working on a platformer in the same vein as Blaster Master, with vehicular and on-foot gameplay.
Maybe I'll try a dungeon crawler next but, since this is my first game with C2, I tend to want to push the limits of what I can do as a way to learn the program and how it works.

game1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:08 am

alvarop wrote:
4Burn2Trees0 wrote:
alvarop wrote:Currently making a reverse metroidvania à la You have to win the game / Love / VVVVVV
I got all the mechanics and systems down, working on level design and overall world design. Fun stuff!

can you be a little more elaborate on that? im not sure what you mean. Metroid prime and transylvania mix?

Metroidvania is a genre. You can look that up on the Internet. I also gave 3 game examples, if you look them up you'll see what I mean :)

Ahaha, i sounded so stupid in that post. I completely meant Castlevania, not transylvania. But i see what you mean now, i wasn't 100% wrong. Those games are awesome, and cool that most have like a dark theme to them.
------------------------------------
"Only you can prevent forest fires"... we're screwed.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 am

ryanrybot wrote:I'm working on a platformer in the same vein as Blaster Master, with vehicular and on-foot gameplay.
Maybe I'll try a dungeon crawler next but, since this is my first game with C2, I tend to want to push the limits of what I can do as a way to learn the program and how it works.

game1.jpg

that looks like it can be very fun. Stick with it and make it a great game. You can only learn from experience.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:45 am

4Burn2Trees0 wrote:that looks like its coming out very awesome, do you do your own artwork or do you have a team?

Thanks :D Nope, no team, just me. I do my own graphics, though I think of myself as a designer/programer rather than an artist. When I finish Nebular Drift I'd like to colab with someone who can really do good art (more than just colorful shapes).
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:53 am

TiAm wrote:
4Burn2Trees0 wrote:that looks like its coming out very awesome, do you do your own artwork or do you have a team?

Thanks :D Nope, no team, just me. I do my own graphics, though I think of myself as a designer/programer rather than an artist. When I finish Nebular Drift I'd like to colab with someone who can really do good art (more than just colorful shapes).

That's awesome man. I find it hard to balance programming and artwork. I'm naturally an artist, i draw, but its nothing like drawing on the computer so i stick to programming. I got lot's o' respect for someone who does it all.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:05 am

4Burn2Trees0 wrote:Ahh i am a huge fan of pokemon and yugioh as well. I hope all goes well with the logic, i can imagine it gets complicated having all the variables of leveling up and getting stronger.

Well, in ccg or tcg, having a level is meaningless and it is just an indicator of progress/experience, and actually it is an easy part.

Keeping track of current instance value of current active cards is the hard part, and creating a dynamic special skill system is so far the hardest of them all. Having 300 event just under a single function is extremely difficult to control, but through patience I believe I'll get them right at some point.

My gameplay is just too different from traditional yugioh, pokemontcg, mtg and current trending ccg/tcg gameplay, I think one of the reason of the difficulties understanding my own mechanic :ugeek: .
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:55 pm

DuckfaceNinja wrote:
4Burn2Trees0 wrote:Ahh i am a huge fan of pokemon and yugioh as well. I hope all goes well with the logic, i can imagine it gets complicated having all the variables of leveling up and getting stronger.

Well, in ccg or tcg, having a level is meaningless and it is just an indicator of progress/experience, and actually it is an easy part.

Keeping track of current instance value of current active cards is the hard part, and creating a dynamic special skill system is so far the hardest of them all. Having 300 event just under a single function is extremely difficult to control, but through patience I believe I'll get them right at some point.

My gameplay is just too different from traditional yugioh, pokemontcg, mtg and current trending ccg/tcg gameplay, I think one of the reason of the difficulties understanding my own mechanic :ugeek: .

300 event under a single function?

Sounds like there is room for improvement there...
when done right, it should be pretty easy to understand the mechanics
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:41 pm

humanescape wrote:300 event under a single function?

Nope, in fact I'm closing in into perfection. It's a combination of procedural filteration, array manipulation and producing meaningful multiplayer.message by the end of it to be decoded on client side. I can easily create new skill just by modifying my csv, without programming new skill. It's like creating a "plugin" for card's special skill. I think it is more accurate if I call it engine for special skill.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:53 pm

DuckfaceNinja wrote:
humanescape wrote:300 event under a single function?

Nope, in fact I'm closing in into perfection. It's a combination of procedural filteration, array manipulation and producing meaningful multiplayer.message by the end of it to be decoded on client side. I can easily create new skill just by modifying my csv, without programming new skill. It's like creating a "plugin" for card's special skill. I think it is more accurate if I call it engine for special skill.

I misunderstood then. If that is the case, that is awesome!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:28 pm

I think the only real kind of game C2 would struggle with would be "non-WYSIWYG" gameplay.

For example, and to illustrate what I mean, a dungeon crawler. Not a rogue-like, but an old-style fake-3D dungeon crawler (Dungeon Master, Black Crypt, Anvil of Dawn, etc.)

Graphics resources are only 2D sprites, the environment and the movement are tile-based, etc. but the problem comes from the fact that what the user sees is not what you edit when you create the game.

The entire level design is a 2D top-down maze, but that's not how you play the game. All the data and game logic is handled in memory, and what is presented to the user is just a different representation of the world.

This can be programmed very easily, but tools like C2 are designed to let you play what you design. I'm not saying creating a dungeon crawler with C2 is not possible, but it would be clunky and sub-optimal in terms of productivity.

That applies to every genre that relies heavily on data management behind the scene. Everything else should be a good candidate for C2 or similar tools.
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General