What multiplayer options are there?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm sorry if I caused any offence or my comment was received as being obnoxious of sorts; it was a genuine question as I didn't understand the method since it was designed to be ad-hoc.

My concern was mainly due to overflow or whatnot having to constantly store UIDs etc.

Thank you for clearing it up, I'll look into it and see how I could incorporate it.

Sorry again!

RS
B
S

Post » Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 am

hey @RetroSpock i myself am looking at multiplayer options and photon is a bit expensive for me as well. Thank you for this post and @lennaert for his suggestion :) however if you do get out for when a host leaves and a peer is switched to a host please share :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 1:13 pm

ishmaelmoreno wrote:hey @RetroSpock i myself am looking at multiplayer options and photon is a bit expensive for me as well. Thank you for this post and @lennaert for his suggestion :) however if you do get out for when a host leaves and a peer is switched to a host please share :)

I'm glad it's not just me that things Photon is a bit pricey for what you get!

Let me know how you get on :D
B
S

Post » Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm

@RetroSpock will do. If photon actually had a decent documentation i wouldn't mind the price. also you can always pm me if anything since we both want a decent multiplayer for our games
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 pm

hey @lennaert can you share with me a quick example of host migration when the host leaves so that the game doesn't quit. would be greatly appreciated :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 28, 2017 3:31 pm

RetroSpock wrote:
ishmaelmoreno wrote:hey @RetroSpock i myself am looking at multiplayer options and photon is a bit expensive for me as well. Thank you for this post and @lennaert for his suggestion :) However, if you do get out for when a host leaves and a peer is switched to a host please share :)

I'm glad it's not just me that things Photon is a bit pricey for what you get!

Let me know how you get on :D

https://github.com/polpoy/colyseus-construct-plugin exists, it's the client for http://gamestd.io/colyseus/ (Open sourced) and free to use, Colyseus can hold up to 200 concurrent users in its current state and it's about to get a major update that will allow for more scaling

https://www.evennode.com/ 6$ a month for 3 nodejs servers
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 28, 2017 10:37 pm

@ishmaelmoreno wrote:hey lennaert can you share with me a quick example of host migration when the host leaves so that the game doesn't quit. would be greatly appreciated :)

There never really is a quick example for something like that, generally it needs to get suited to fit a specific mechanic.

I made an example and commented it.

capx

It has 2 things, ID preservation and reconnecting to a new host maintaining locations.
The host can even reconnect as peer and get his old location back.

It uses player object sprites on which you can pin an avatar, the idea is that the peers/host preserve the avatar if a player disconnects, or host leaves, and with those details players can reconnect.

^_^

edit: keep in mind when testing on more then 2 chromes, the local storage of the 2nd incognito window might use the cache of the 1st incognito window
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 29, 2017 12:52 am

thanks @Phacanu shall take a look. @lennaert thank you so much for the capx. your help is greatly appreciated :D :D :D :D also i do understand that it's never really a quick way to do something in that regard lol my apologies there.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:21 am

Last edited by ishmaelmoreno on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:50 pm

https://github.com/polpoy/colyseus-construct-plugin-example

gives you the very basics on creating a multiplayer client and controlling it based on your specific ID and having the sprites position update over the network, It does not cover client side prediction tho
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General